Browser compat issue? I dont think so.

• vonedaddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vonedaddy
  • Loc: Philadelphia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been working on a website that a friend of mine designed. Neither of us are web designers but we both play around a bit. Anyway this is a REALLY weird issue here and I was wondering if one of you fine folks could help us out.

On this website we have a flash menu. When running windows with ANY browser the menu looks and works fine. When I connect from my linux (fedora 8) box and roll over the menu the top half of the content disappears. Almost like the menu is covering it. This happens even if there is no drop down.
  • vonedaddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vonedaddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, here is a link to the site:

http://injector-rehab.com
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhmmm i cant help ya out cuz im on linux using a 64bit browser and dont have flash :\
  • vonedaddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vonedaddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

champi0n wrote:
hhmmm i cant help ya out cuz im on linux using a 64bit browser and dont have flash :\

Do you agree that this is a weird issue? anyone ever heard anything like this before?!?!
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently (I may be wrong) Flash 9 for linux does not support:

Code: [ Select ]
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

Which would be a linux compatibility issue (or bug).
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can I suggest you don't use Flash? The navigation (links) is one of the only way a search engine finds different pages on your site. Since search engines don't read Flash.. you're pretty screwed.

Trust me - you can acheive exactly the same effect without it. Have a look at these.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't like flash? Cos I can not stand sites that have one piece of flash and the rest is normally coded, whats the point?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't use flash for a menu (obvious SEO issues etc) but I don't see anything wrong with it in general.... I guess it's like tables - you don't want to be shoving it everywhere, but sometimes it's just what you need.... a nice little flash animation with snowflakes falling over a banner or something - why not? if not overdone it can be quite charming....
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, but that same effect can be achieved with an animated GIF, it kinda bugs me when I go to one site, that has one tiny piece of flash and it asks me to download a plug-in to view it. With animated GIF's you do not need to do that.

With the flash menu in this case, the exact same result can be achieved with CSS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts