Buying a domain name

• alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Pakistan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey, Im thinking of buying a domain name (.com) and trying to earn money using Google Adsense. I want to know from where i can buy a domain name and what i should look for when buying a domain ? I dont know alot about it and this is the first time im buying a Domain name. If you guys have any suggestions from where to buy a Domain, Let me know.

Also, What sort of websites earn alot on Google Adsense? And do you need to know some sort of programming skills to build up a website to earn money for Adsense ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have multiple domains through GoDaddy.com and haven't run into any problems.

The thing to keep in mind is that you can't just buy a domain, slap some ads on it and expect to earn money. Earning money through advertising requires a site with constant, significant, targeted traffic.

You'll need to put a lot of work into the site with very little to gain from it for a while before you can expect to start seeing any revenue. Focus on content, not advertising. I'd even recommend not using any ads at all until you have a good amount of relevant, traffic-generating content. Ads won't do anything but deter visitors in the early stages of a website.

Also remember that you'll need hosting in addition to a domain.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okey so how do i get hosting? Can you guide me through the process as ive never really bought a domain before.

Also how much money would it take to run a website? Per month?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I want to know from where i can buy a domain name and what i should look for when buying a domain ?

Godaddy.

Look for words relevant to the type of website you're looking to build. For instance registering "hairy-bungholes.com" would probably be a bad idea if you're looking to start a legal FAQ website.

Think about where you anticipate traffic to the website comming from. If you anticipate this being something that people will pass around by word of mouth, aim for a short domain name. If it's something that's probably only going to be visited by people sitting at home on their computer after searching for hours online, the length of the domain name doesn't matter as much because they're just going to end up clicking it anyway.

Make sure you look at your name from multiple angles before actually registering it. You don't want to end up being the next "ExpertSexChange.com" (experts exchange) or "PenisLand.com" (pen island). Adding a hyphen between two words (such as experts exchange did) will help if your audience comes mostly from searches, but can complicate the spreading via word of mouth.

Quote:
If you guys have any suggestions from where to buy a Domain, Let me know.

Godaddy.

Quote:
Also, What sort of websites earn alot on Google Adsense?

You're going to get a LOT of crappy answers to this question anywhere you go.
Reason being nobody wants more competition and telling you what they're doing would mean more competition.

Most of the stuff you hear about is going to be filled with soo many competitors you'll not be able to sleep at night in fear that someone is sabatoging your website to get an edge in the search engine rankings.

Bottom line, trust nobodys answer to that question, not even mine. Do your own research about what people are searching for and draw your own conclusions about how much money there is to be made from the topic.

Quote:
And do you need to know some sort of programming skills to build up a website to earn money for Adsense ?

You don't need programming skills.
They're useful though.

Quote:
Also how much money would it take to run a website? Per month?

Taking into consideration maybe $15 to register a domain for the year, less than $10 a month for shared hosting to get started on a simple static content site. Once the site starts slowing down from heavy usage you should be making enough to explore other options such as VPS/Dedicated.
  • alamode
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

And whats the difference or advantage in Dedicated hosting as compared to shared hosting ?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shared hosting is like renting a garage apartment to run a business out of compared to having an office building which dedicated would be, with VPS being like renting an office in the office building.
  • benevolent001
  • benevolent001

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Alamode , The best way to start of if to buy domain and if you can afford buy some shared hosting space .

If you dont want to spend on hosting just go for free blog hosting like Google Blogspot and start writing .

Good luck with your endeavor

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts