Buying a site or find some to compile for you?

• willanfei
  • willanfei

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering whether you buy a site sourse code or find someone to compile one for you?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depens on what you want to do ... can you code (X)HTML and CSS at all?
  • Bryce
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bryce
  • Loc: North Carolina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why would we buy our site's source code? We just use Notepad2 or another editor and code it ourselves.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bryce wrote:
Why would we buy our site's source code? We just use Notepad2 or another editor and code it ourselves.

Not everyone that needs a website is a webdesigner.

willanfei, If you are new to this and just need a website, then you are best to look for a local webdesigner that has a good reputation. You can usually check this by viewing their portfolio and inquiring about them from their clients.

I stress local because that gives you the chance to meet with them and make sure they understand what you want. It's much easier to deal with someone local than someone you can only communicate with in email and phone calls.
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're going to hire and pay someone to create a website, make sure you hire someone with at least 2 years professional experience and 21 or over. Otherwise you have a high risk of getting crap. *Note i said high chance, as there are a handful of young guys that are good, but most are not.
  • shahneel81
  • shahneel81

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should better go for a hosting company that provides ready made templates if you are not sure in the beginning what to do.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It very much depends on what kind of site you want, I suppose. If you want a generic site there are some nice templates out there - some of them even free - but you'll still need someone to modify and customise them for you - if nothing else then simply to add your text and images into the site.

On the other hand if you're selling a specific product or you have a specific theme for your site - whatever you may intend to do on it - it's nice to get someone to make a custom site for you, which will reflect your needs and wants much more closely than a template. the problem with most templates is that they look like most other templates.... even when they are very pretty they're still generic and don't really stick in the mind of the users......... it isn't all that expensive to get a site custom made these days. (well depends where you live really...)

Anyhow I agree with ATNO's recommendation - get someone you can speak with face to face. That way you'll have a better chance of judging how professional they are, but also whether your ideas/ working styles are compatible.... web design is, like all other design, a creative process, and different people have wildly different ideas of what 'pretty' or 'user-friendly' means. It's good to ascertain you're on the same wavelength with someone before you start to work with them.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts