Change the title of a website

• Hiei
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Hiei

Post 3+ Months Ago

im creating a website that is a library of programming forums, and i want to put it up but when i open it the URL is the path from my desktop and it has my name and computer on it which i don't want on their. is there any way i can get rid of that and make a title of my own. i am fairly new to HTML so i don't understand it all just yet.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<head>
<title>Spangly New Webpage Title Here</title>
</head>
  1. <head>
  2. <title>Spangly New Webpage Title Here</title>
  3. </head>

Just whack a title tag inbetween your existing head tags
  • lilcutie009
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go into the html and look for the title tags (example below) and edit the text between them.. Or if you don't have title tags.. add them my boy!

xxx

:lol:

<title>change this text </title>
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

lilcutie009 is right look for title, may be you are using different editor and it might look like this one below...

<html>
</head>
<title>Your Own Title</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>
  1. <html>
  2. </head>
  3. <title>Your Own Title</title>
  4. </head>
  5. <body>
  6. </body>
  7. </html>
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

one more person says look at title tags and I'm gonna vomit...geez people give hiei a lil credit and assume that they got the picture the first time!

if they didn't they'd more than likely post a follow-up question...geez over kill
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d wrote:
one more person says look at title tags and I'm gonna vomit...geez people give hiei a lil credit and assume that they got the picture the first time!

if they didn't they'd more than likely post a follow-up question...geez over kill

s15199d, everyone answerd the best way they could, I usually post what I know... and if you want to "vomit" go ahead ain't nobody stopin you.
Why don't you just assume that he got the picture the first time and answer it ?
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm suppprised nobody mentioned you can just change the text between the title tags.

<title> Title Goes Here</title>

:wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No wonder he/she hasn't answered. I think you all missed what he is asking. What he's doing on his computer is "browsing" to the file in his browser and opening it. I don't believe that he is asking about the "title" per se, although if you leave the title tags empty, you do get the URL path from the local computer in the title bar, I believe what he is asking is about the URL path in the address bar.

The answer is a long one, but to try to make it short, you need to choose and register a domain name and get a host for your site to upload your pages to the internet. When you upload your pages to your new host, your "URL" will appear as http://www.yourdomain.com (not your local computer path). When you are viewing on your home machine, the pages will appear with the path in the address bar of your browser, and as the others suggested, if you don't have anything in the title tags, it will also appear in the top-most title bar of your browser.

That will change once you have your site online.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiei wrote:
im creating a website that is a library of programming forums, and i want to put it up but when i open it the URL is the path from my desktop and it has my name and computer on it which i don't want on their. is there any way i can get rid of that and make a title of my own. i am fairly new to HTML so i don't understand it all just yet.

i dont honestly understand the question. I dont think this person is on about "Title" tags.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, to me, it sounds like Hiei has somehow gotten an absolute path from his development machine hard coded onto a page or dynamic process.

Hiei: are you using a portal/CMS or discussion board? What is the nature of the site you're working with? Is it dynamic or static? Are you using a WYSIWYG to edit?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

sohaibG wrote:
lilcutie009 is right look for title, may be you are using different editor and it might look like this one below...

<html>
</head>
<title>Your Own Title</title>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>
  1. <html>
  2. </head>
  3. <title>Your Own Title</title>
  4. </head>
  5. <body>
  6. </body>
  7. </html>

I like this version the best. Gives a good solid location of the tag.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

...maybe if people post clearly and in detail the first time, we wouldn't have seven people arguing and making sometimes inaccurate replies.
  • Hiei
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Hiei

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
No wonder he/she hasn't answered. I think you all missed what he is asking. What he's doing on his computer is "browsing" to the file in his browser and opening it. I don't believe that he is asking about the "title" per se, although if you leave the title tags empty, you do get the URL path from the local computer in the title bar, I believe what he is asking is about the URL path in the address bar.

The answer is a long one, but to try to make it short, you need to choose and register a domain name and get a host for your site to upload your pages to the internet. When you upload your pages to your new host, your "URL" will appear as http://www.yourdomain.com (not your local computer path). When you are viewing on your home machine, the pages will appear with the path in the address bar of your browser, and as the others suggested, if you don't have anything in the title tags, it will also appear in the top-most title bar of your browser.

That will change once you have your site online.

ATNO/TW is right, when i put my site on the web the Address displays the file path, this is what i get when i open my HTML file [url]file:///Users/adamleslie/Desktop/scripts%3AHTML/untitled%203.html[/url] im sorry if i confused you, i was confused myself on how to ask it, Also do you know if i can get a domain name for free or do i have to pay for it no matter what? thanks again for all your help.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well first of all you aren't putting your site on the web. You are simply using your web browser to view it, while it is still located on your computer.

You can sign up for free hosts, like Yahoo! Geocities, or Angelfire, and get a free "domain" something like http://yahoo.geocities.com/username/

As for fixing the title, you should be able to edit the file and find the HTML tag at the beginning right after that should be the HEAD tag, then the TITLE tag. If those don't exist you'll have to add them:

<html>
<head>
<title>PUT YOUR TITLE HERE</title.
</head>
<body>
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <title>PUT YOUR TITLE HERE</title.
  4. </head>
  5. <body>

That's the general header. Hope that clears some stuff up!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts