Changing Site from Frontpage into Dreamweaver

• qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I really want to change my site which was done in Frontpage into Dreamweaver. I am currently using Dreamweaver but some of the images and frames are messed. I really dont want to experiment doing this and would be happy for any assistance...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't want to experiment with it, then you might as well stay with frontpage and forget about dreamweaver. Experimenting and figuring out what works and what doesn't is the best way to learn.
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using dreamweaver and I am having no problem with it. However as my site has been built with FP, I need to convert extensions images etc to the DM format so that everything displays perfectly. As mentioned there are still some problems concerning the display of images and frames opening it in DW. Are there any exact tutorials of how to change a site to DW or is there someone who can help me, as DW is a much better program which I have learned thus far.
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only just got your point... If I say experiment I mean I don't want to loose info and have to rebuild my entire site if you know what I mean...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay here's the thing ... You don't convert a site from frontpage to dreamweaver as they both do exactly the same thing ... build websites using HTML ... same language, different programs ... it's like making pudding, you can make pudding in a big bowl with a fancy whisk or in a smaller bowl with a fork ... at the end of the day, you have pudding.

Now the problem exists in the fact that frontpage is a really crappy program at making websites and it adds heaps and heaps of useless clutter ... but then again dreamweaver does the same thing if you don't know anything about HTML ... at least a little less than frontpage ...
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, my site has been made in fronpage but now I am using it in DW. Which means some things dont work as they should therefore I want to change it to DW. Also I am using mac and there is no frontpage program for mac. I would prefer to continue using DW. What do I do?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

did it work when you were using Frontpage?
If you answer yes, it has no choice but to work in Dreamweaver ... because wherever you put it, HTML stays HTML ...
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it works and i am editing text and some code however the pics are not displaying and the tables / frames are considerably different than the way they are in frontpage which is giving me some problems editing my site...
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

it works in Dreamweaver but with some problems. It has always worked perfectly in Frontpage... I would like to use it in DW.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah frontpage uses some custom controls to create certian parts of the page. I would try getting the actual HTML code without any of the frontpage specialness. The easiest way I can think of to do this is to use Firefox to save a copy of your html and assets.

Go to your site. Select Save Page As. From the drop down select "Web Page, complete" This will take all of the html and images and save them to your computer. You'll have to do this for each page of your site and it will take a little work to put them back together in dreamweaver but at least it will remove all the custom frontpage stuff to get you to a starting point.
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

does dreamweaver always save images to the site root folder. If how can I change that. I would rather they point to my folder called images.
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I did that are u sure it takes out all the frontpage specialness? Am I not supposed to save "htm only"

graphixboy wrote:
Yeah frontpage uses some custom controls to create certian parts of the page. I would try getting the actual HTML code without any of the frontpage specialness. The easiest way I can think of to do this is to use Firefox to save a copy of your html and assets.

Go to your site. Select Save Page As. From the drop down select "Web Page, complete" This will take all of the html and images and save them to your computer. You'll have to do this for each page of your site and it will take a little work to put them back together in dreamweaver but at least it will remove all the custom frontpage stuff to get you to a starting point.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't select "Web Page, Complete" it will only save the html and not any of your images, etc.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

as far as images are concerned, dreamweaver will put images wherever you tell it to - in fact I'm not sure dreamweaver does anything with images, I tend to make my own images, in my own image folders as I want them, and then simply reference them through dreamweaver to connect them to the html/ css files of my site.

the more I think about it, the more I reckon the best thing for you to do would be do a little bit of reading on the basics of html/ css coding in general, not thinking about dreamweaver/ frontpage or whatever - just try playing with things in notepad and checking the results in your browser. this will give you a better understanding of what you're doing inside dreamweaver

another thought - if the things you say are wrong with dreamweaver displaying your site are in dreamweaver's native preview window - you have to keep in mind that things often look really wrong there even though they're perfectly good in the original file. so when you're working in your site - in dreamweaver - press the F12 key to see a browser preview - you might be surprised at how much better it looks.

really the only way to keep tabs on what you're accomplishing in dreamweaver is to keep pressing F12 or to keep opening the original file with different browsers, to see a realistic approximation of how it will render....

hope this wasn't too complicated :)
  • qsch
  • qsch

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I did it and its working the only problem the images which are specified in the images folder do not appear when open in dreamweaver, however when opened in any browser they work fine. I would like to see them when I open the page to edit it and cant understand why I am not seeing them?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts