Clever Andy

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
When you present design concepts to a client there is at least one decent design that’s not chosen. Not that there’s anything wrong with the concept, it’s just not right for that client… but it may be perfect for someone else. So you package up all the source files for that concept and submit it to CleverAndy.

http://cleverandy.com/

Interesting idea, I might submit some of my designs that arnt in any use. Who knows, I might just get something. From the looks of it, if they think your design is worthy of a client you can make quite a bit of cash.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting idea.

Kinda reminds me of the Coinstar machines you see in grocery stores which charge $0.09 on the dollar ($0.02 higher than sales tax !) to give you bills for change.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the Coinstar machines you see in grocery stores which charge $0.09 on the dollar ($0.02 higher than sales tax !) to give you bills for change.

Only 1 cent higher than sales tax here in NY :x
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gotta put that one in the "duh" file. Hehehehe. I've done that many times. With a lot of sites I develop, I also develop a sister-site and do the same thing.

:D
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

read the rules though. They might use your design (you don't get paid unless they use the design) and your only getting a small fraction of the sale price to do all the hard work. Clever Andy doesn't have to do any work. They just show their clients the library of submitted designs and away they go... This seems little better than a bloated design contest to me.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
...Clever Andy doesn't have to do any work...

They accualy do quite a bit of work. They take the design you make, they do all the xhtml and css and put a cms around it along with quite a bit of other stuff.

cleaver andy wrote:
There your concept gets sliced up and built into a fully functioning ExpressionEngine website with all the features we think that client would need. We set them up with a Basecamp account, some Mint stats, email accounts with Google Hosted Apps and hosting with EngineHosting.

We also prepare the documentation, screen cast instructions and all the other mundane stuff that comes with developing and deploying a website.

Once all that is done we take that full featured website built on your concept and go shopping for a client.

They produce webpages.

clever andy wrote:
How much do I get paid?

Let’s say your design is accepted and we move it to production you will receive a 25% cut of the total sale amount when it gets handed off to the client. This means that you will receive on average $825 - $1000 for your design.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps I need to be a little more clear. My problem isn't with CleverAndy, in fact if they can get the design community to give them designs (that they may or may not use) and then mark that design way up and make a profit by cutting out half the work, good for them.

However, as a professional designer, my issue is with the way this kind of thing destroys the perceived value of design. CleverAndy is sending the message that design is simply aesthetic (if you like blue, we have the perfect site for you).
Quote:
Once all that is done we take that full featured website built on your concept and go shopping for a client.
In a sense that circumvents the entire benefit of the design process. Design for the web should solve a problem. The designer needs to understand specific issues of the business (how people buy the product, what is the competition doing, how can we get people to use the website instead of calling on the phone, etc). In order to solve these issues a designer should draw on a understanding of Process/Goal, Information Architecture, Usability Theory, Target audience psychology and so on. CleverAndy is basically sending the message that problem solving doesn't matter as long as you like how it looks. A professional basketball player (or even someone who wants to play alley ball) doesn't go out and buy golf shoes to play basketball simply because they like the way they look.

I personally think that if the design community wants to be treated as professionals with a skill to offer, than we should think very carefully about what message a place like CleverAndy is sending to a world full of potential clients.
  • kikoooo
  • Born
  • Born
  • kikoooo

Post 3+ Months Ago

NEVER SUBMIT ANYTHING, YOU'LL NEVER HEAR FROM THOSE GUYS AND WILL NEVER RECEIVE ANY ANSWER. YOU CANNOT DELETE YOUR FILE IF YOU DECIDE TO REMOVE IT, SO YOU'LL NEVER KNOW IF IT'S USED IN A WEBSITE OR NOT

NEVER SUBMIT ON CLEVERANDY

PLEASE IF YOU HEAR ABOUT CLEVERANDY SOMEWHERE ELSE, DON'T LET PEOPLE BE ABUSED BY THOSE GUYS
  • aja72
  • aja72

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are lucky man. This is not a bad idea. Some time which is not useful for himself but that is more useful for others.
Where you have submitted your designs? Give me some idea.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts