Codes for a website on my computer

• naughtyflow
  • Born
  • Born
  • naughtyflow
  • Loc: GTA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i never tried this before, but i want 2 create a website (http://www.mypage.com type) on my computer and i heard that i need some special codes.. can someone tell me the most important ones or even all of them... a hyper link would also help... :D

thank you very much...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to make a website on your local machine, you just make HTML pages in a directory.

If you want to emulate a server environment, you'll need to run a server software, locally.

Special codes? :scratchhead:
  • naughtyflow
  • Born
  • Born
  • naughtyflow
  • Loc: GTA

Post 3+ Months Ago

so i dun need any special codes?? :oops: i just wanna make a small personal wesite... like for ma friends n i heard someone that i need some codes like to put the pictures n da text n stuff... that aint true?? then do i need like any program to do it or i can use frontpage or sumthin??

Quote:
If you want to emulate a server environment, you'll need to run a server software, locally.

what does that mean??? :scratchhead:
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, apart from HTML, you "dun" need any special codes. I wouldn't consider HTML to be a special code.

If you want your friends to be able to access this site (e.g. http://www.yoursite.com), you'll need to have it hosted by a hosting company.

What you will do is create your website on your computer (HTML and graphics), then upload those files to the computer that is "serving" it to the world.

You can use any text editor to create HTML (Notepad for example), or you can use an HTML editor. (FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc.)

Running server software locally is probably not what you want. Developers do this for testing purposes.
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

naughtyflow, do you mean HTML code? Anyway, if you're new to HTML, you should use a what-you-see-is-what-you get editor like Frontpage, as dM suggests. Since you're starting out, you should find a free host, such as Geocities or Angelfire, until you get the feel for it and know what you're doing, then buy a domain (you.com) and hosting.
  • darkthroniar
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

naughtyflow, like dM says HTML is not a special there only thags and is easy to learn.. liquescence said you that you should try to use a WYSIWYG(What you see is what you get) program like frontpage or dreamweaver, i recomended to you dreamweaver because is easy to learn and don't make a dump code like frontpage :x, font page is really bad. For your hosting try in http://www.geocities.com, is a free hosting for personal pages, but if you like your own server you need more thing, i don't like to confuse you, try the things that we say you.

If need help let me know :)
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

*shrug* I wouldn't know anything about WYSIWYG editors lol. I've never really used anything outside of notepad (other than Geocities sitebuilder, but that when I was started out, 6 long years ago lol).
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could use wysiwyg, but to tell you the truth HTML is so easy to learn. Even someone that is programming retarded like me can learn to do it.

I started out with the geocities sitebuilder about 3 years ago then I started looking at the code the same day. *shivers* man my first few sites where ugly.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp will help you immensely
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

good ol' notepad :D

always used it, always will......
once tried to use context, as it colours different tags etc., but i missed notepad :(

i just find it easier and completely uncomplicated

naughtyflow,
you can learn HTML and other stuff at w3schools

http://www.w3schools.com

all in as-you-go tutorial format, so it makes it even easier to learn it.

Joe
  • Kavey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kavey
  • Loc: Mo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes.. learn the html first. If you don't give up and you want a real challenge you could try running your own server. If you don't have a very fast internet connection it wouldnt be worthwhile though. But if you get a good page put together and you want to try running a server put a post in the webhosting forum and I and I'm sure others will give you a helping hand. If you don't know linux this will be another great challenge because you will basically have to learn linux before you will get the server going. It all depends on how many months you want to put into getting this site going I guess.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr Smith wrote:
good ol' notepad :D

always used it, always will......

Good clean code will always be painless and uncomplicated. The only reason I use DreamWeaver is for the file management functions.

Much easier to manage a website using DW vs. ftp software w/ frontpage.

Uploading Process with dreamweaver:
1) Ctrl-s (save)
2) Shift+Ctrl-u (upload)
3) Ctrl-w (close)

Using ftp soft you've got to bounce between notepad and the ftp program--which isn't that much of a pain, but it does take a bit longer. :?
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I agree with you there, that is why i use html-kit http://www.chami.com it has a built in ftp and shortcuts too
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

TextPad. You can even build in compile commands for any command line compiler available. Mostly, though, I just like the sytax highlighting.

Anyway, learn the HTML before using a WYS tool. You'll be better for it in the long run.

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts