IE collection for cross browser testing

• vasyapupkin42
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vasyapupkin42

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would like to hear opinions regarding IE collection. It allows you to install multiple versions of IE on the same machine and is supposed to be much more stable than Multiple IE.

I'm considering to use this in my browser screenshot application (BrowserSeal)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I consider it unnecessary. According to the stats for websites I work on, IE6 is generally less than 15% these days. Usually between 8% and 12%.

IE8 also employs a backward compatibility mode, which, while not rendering identical to IE6, does highlight potential problems - usually regarding the box model. But then again, a person using IE6 is typically not within a demographic that I'm overly concerned with.

I personally think this type of browser testing is becoming rapdily out-dated.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to load up old browsers for testing. Now since the days of IE6 are slowing dying (thank goodness), I have only been checking for other versions of IE here:

http://browserlab.adobe.com/

to make sure everything looks like it should. The problem with the above, or any other screenshot service, is it still is hard to debug what is causing the issues. When I know a problem exists in a browser it is by far the easiest to load up the website directly in the browser with the problem.

BTW, on ozzu about 9.75% of the visits here still use IE6.
  • vasyapupkin42
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vasyapupkin42

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I personally think this type of browser testing is becoming rapdily out-dated.

Well, that's your opinion, but I have to disagree. I use FF most of the time and I do happen to run into websites with buggy layout at least once in a month. With all these new browsers, IE8, Google Chrome and mobiles browsers I think that cross browser testing is a must nowadays.
  • vasyapupkin42
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vasyapupkin42

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
When I know a problem exists in a browser it is by far the easiest to load up the website directly in the browser with the problem.

My point exactly. I would think that Browserlab biggest value is for Mac users, PC users are better off installing all the major browsers locally.

BTW, regarding BrowserLab - are you happy with the service ? Is it fast enough ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts