E-commerce website with sales rep permission based system

• barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone: Im new to this forum and am seeking some information. I have a website that is joint with another owner. Im looking to have a new site developed and i have specific requirements and the most important one is that my sales reps can go in and register clients, place orders for them and look at their account without access to my reports or making changes to the site unless a permission is given. Does anyone know where to start looking for such a site? I have got unreal quotes and it is just not affordable. How difficult is what Im asking for to do?
Any information is much appreciated...leads would be awesome. Thanks and have a great weekend!
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of pure curiosity, what were some of the quotes you received?
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is way to high but you said quotes with an S what are the others. do you mean in $'s? The problem is that what you want is a CMS and for one to be made for you is more expensive then most site types say a simple about us site. Then you need to look at databases which hold all the data and set them up. You seam to be asking for a database system rather then a website for the public and most people will not want to get into such complex work (I know I wouldn't)
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

cms is what ive been told. I need my reps to be able to have access to their clients info , create new clients and place orders for them. Most sites have reports which is what i would use for my accounting system and I definately need a website for sales. Is this that big of a deal? Is there no site templates with these requirements already made?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Barb your asking for something very custom to be created, regardless of the terminology I doubt you'll find anything off the shelf that fits your business process and needs correctly.

From what I can glean from your posts you need two sites.

1. an internal customer management system (CRM). These are quite expensive and there is an entire subset of the web industry built up around customizing these to people's needs. You may want to look into a hosted solution for this. Something like SalesForce instead of having something built to fit your needs.

2. An external facing website with ecommmerace abilities that allows for actual browsing and purchase. You might be able to find a template for this, but again a custom solution will likely be much more of a benefit to your business than a template.

Frankly I'm a bid surprised at the bit you received. It actually seems low to me and makes me think that the company/individual may not have fully understood what your requesting. I would have expected closer to $30k - $50k (USD) depending on the capabilities and experience of the firm bidding the work.
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

it can possibly be this difficult.
The main thng for me is a ecommerce website. I would just like to give my reps the ablity to go in and place an order, create an account, and look at client details. Why is this so difficult to add in. Would it not just be giving certain permissions to a certain areas of the website?
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops, I should add or cost that much money!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not trying to be rude here, but if it isn't that hard then why don't you just go do it yourself? We're not here to simply say what you want to hear. As a community we're answering your questions based on our expertise and experience. There's no magic bullet for what you want (if there was someone would have already built it and be charging a lot more than what you've been quoted).

Is your office located in a shipping container? After all wouldn't you really just need a roof over your head? I highly doubt its as simple as that. Instead you went to find a location in an area of town within easy access to meetings, manufacturing, shipping (or whatever your company needs). You haggled over lease requirements, discussed the amount of space you need for current and future growth. You may have hired an interior planner to help with productivity goals and so on and so forth. In essence your space is much more than just a place to put a desk. Its something customized to the way you and your business need to work.

In this instance a shipping container is to your office space what an off the shelf solution will be to your customer management and sales needs. You can probably find something to just plug in (you'll probably have to ask somewhere other than Ozzu), but in the end you'll find that the endless tweaks to make everything work the way you want it to will end up costing much more than having it built the right way in the first place. There may be a lot of free tools available online, but the old adage is still true. "You get what you pay for"
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont want to sound rude, but if its so simple then why couldnt you just be able to do it? It costs a lot of money because it takes a lot of skill and knowledge to do what you want. If it was simple it'd be cheap. Also you get what you pay for. If you go the cheap route it will probably be sloppy work and might not do what you really want it to do.
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, didnt mean to ruffle feathers...
Im looking in trying to figure this out and that is the only reason Im here...for HELP from your expertise...but as a small business trying to grow it cannot accomodate the expense of the quotes and yet it is the only thing Ive been told that I can do is a cms.
Now Im left searching the web and trying to figure out these steps.
No I dont want to build it and no I dont think its simple, but so far nobody has given me any solid information...well actually one person has and im researching that now.

Is there no website out there where I can just give permissions for reps to look at certain parts of the site? My present site my reps can have permission...but its to the whole site not just customers. I dont want things such as content to get changed accidentally which is a possibility with everyones hands in there.

Thanks and sorry if I PO anyone...im just trying to find help...this will be my third website in less than 1.5yr and your right...you get what you pay for and I did but at the time I also didnt know what I needed to ask for!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't worry we're not PO'd. It just seemed like we are trying to give you answers but they aren't what you wanted to hear.

SalesForce is probably your best bet for a hosted customer management/lead generation solution. As for the other do you reps need different pricing? Different ordering solutions? I don't know what your product is so its very difficult to offer much in the way of answers for this without telling you to keep getting quotes for custom work. Its possible that if you layout exactly what you want this site to do (be specific) someone here will have some ideas for things to research. However, I should warn you that its very unlikely you'll find a way to integrate CRM, Website and accounting without a really custom solution.
  • barb
  • barb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! Just checked that out..it will be 1500.00 per rep per year. Not in budget.
Question: Do I actually need a CRM?
My sites (product distribution) that i had and have worked well in all aspects except allowing permissions to certain area of the site.
The site now is OSC Max Hosting. Know anything about that?
We had a web developer set it up for us and in turn said no individual area permissions could be given except to the entire site. The US company decided on going to a complete distribution but I like the idea of reps..so Im trying to find something for them to feel comfortable knowing the commissions being paid is accurate. They have no idea of the sales unless I forward an invoice by copy to them. I dont think thats fair. I think they need to see their clients info regarding invoices made from the website.
so you see I only need a site that I can allow permissions to a certain area. Is this possible?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the site currently generate those reports that you could share with your reps? If so and depending on the the technology used to build the site you might be able to find someone who could add in a user management system to the site you already have. If you send me a PM with your site I'll link it up so people can do a little research to answer that question.

As for needing a CRM solution, I can't really answer that question since I don't know your product or business. I originally suggested that since it seemed that you were asking about lead management instead of transaction data. I'd talk to a few of your better performing reps and ask if a CRM tool would be a benefit to helping them do their jobs.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts