Compatibility Issues

• cloudbrk
  • Born
  • Born
  • cloudbrk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am new to CSS and am having some difficulties getting my site viewable in IE6. IE7 works fine and Firefox works good (only a few hiccups with Firefox). I was wondering if someone could take a look at the site and tell me what I might be able to do to fix it.

It appears that a lot of my content just does not show up in IE6 or is shifted down quite a ways on the page.

Here is the site. http://www.huntclubfarm.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have IE6 ... I don't care about it anymore, but you can start by validating your code here ...
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE6 is going out the market just update your ir browser to version 7 and that is that:)
  • gonzoka
  • Student
  • Student
  • gonzoka
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with righteous that you need to validate your code - if you're not writing valid code, you've got no right to assume any browser can even understand it! Once its valid, you can then address any issues you have...

As for IE6, its not hard to get code working in it, and dismissing the browser entirely is a fool's thing to do - 1/3 of people are still using it, and many don't have a choice to upgrade (if they're on corporate/ pre windows XP OS's). I'll personally continue supporting ie6 while I have clients that use it.For non-professionals its a personal choice but remember that whoever you show off your work to has a 1/3 chance of thinking you suck!
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only a quarter will think you suck ... source ...
  • gonzoka
  • Student
  • Student
  • gonzoka

Post 3+ Months Ago

Except thats for a single site...

(with a disclaimer at the bottom:)
Quote:
W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

I'm going by this source and the sources quoted within it.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still not going to try and support it, my code does however always validate, and I am sure most of my sites do actually work on IE6 ... I am just from now on going to do a browser detect and ask a user to upgrade if he/she has IE6 ... And because I do all this for myself, I will obviously have to deal with the consequences ...
  • gonzoka
  • Student
  • Student
  • gonzoka

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats fine, I wasn't making a personal point against you, more pointing out that the personal preferences and requirements for each developer and site are different.

Because I make commercial sites for clients I have to support IE6 for instance; just saying 'do not support ie6' is not a valid reply to the original post.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts