Contract thing

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help setting up a contract and things like that. I just started on numerous projects and need to set up a contract, but as this is my first time working like this, I need some help setting it up.

I don't even know how to set up a contract. The persons I'm dealing with are nowhere near me so it all has to be done VIA email or sites.

Any help? Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are lots of contracts online. You should setup an escrow account. I got burned really bad working with out of towners! PLease tell me you got some money upfront before starting :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
PLease tell me you got some money upfront before starting :)

Why?

Also, is escrow free?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get money up front for several reasons:

1. If your project goes south and you can't collect the whole fee, you at least got something.

2. It helps your client understand that they are investing in the project. (I have never had a client not get me what I need to complete the project after giving me a portion of the cost. They want to make sure everything goes smoothly after they've laid out the cash.)

3. This proves your a professional and take your work seriously. Many other service industries require money upfront and this helps people understand that design is no different from roofing, or trimming your lawn.

In my experience #2 is the biggest reason to get money up front. I have found that all projects go much more smoothly when both you and your client have a vested interest.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

website-design-forum/getting-paid-t83974.html

UNFLUX wrote:
Basically, I like to get 1/3 up front, 1/3 when the design is approved and the last 1/3 upon completion. Another way I've done it is to take half up front and half when the job is completed. But keep in mind that I never deliver the site until they pay.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/getting-paid-t83974.html

UNFLUX wrote:
Basically, I like to get 1/3 up front, 1/3 when the design is approved and the last 1/3 upon completion. Another way I've done it is to take half up front and half when the job is completed. But keep in mind that I never deliver the site until they pay.

Oh that's what you meant. Yeah, I actually do this thing. I asked 1/4th up front. I thought you meant from my own wallet. I know why I need it for this thing.

Is escrow free?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey,
Check this google search. Lot's of sample contracts to help you create your own

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... gle+Search

When you aren't dealing with people you can actually meet with, you may need to invest in a fax machine. You are going to need your contacts signed by both parties, and fax is probably the fastest way to send back and forth. Most people aren't set up for electronic signature capture.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts