Creating a side bar on a website

• section8ff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Houston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will do my best to explain this, I hope I do a good enough job.

I have a web page I am working on, and I am wanting to add a side bar, as a navigation setup along with the music player. I want the side bar to stay constant, and not change when I navigate to another website. Is there a way to code this, or is this something I design externally, and program into the page?

Thank you for the help in advance,

Bear
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

something like this?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

like that, but I dont want the side bar to reload everytime...I know, I'm being difficult...I want the music to keep playing throughout all the sub pages on the site...I guess like have 2 pages together in one? could I do that with div's?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only way you could do that is by using frames ... and that is not a good idea if you ask me ... Why frames are bad
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

and by the way, here is an example of frames
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS Version of Frames
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you're talking about.. you want to play background music that doesn't reload every time the user changes pages, right?

Both of the methods above are extremely cool, but I'm pretty sure the music would start over when the user clicks a menu link. As far as I know, the only two ways to do this are:

1) Frames
2) All Flash website

Personally, I don't think either of these are good ideas and might cause more issues than they're worth, but I did use the frames technique for a client once (after trying everything I could to talk him out of the idea of using background music, of course).
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this may be completely out of the box, but would it be possible to load the pages inside a div? design the main page around a big div, and have the subsequent pages load inside the div?

Thank you to all for the help and responses
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

section8ff wrote:
I know this may be completely out of the box, but would it be possible to load the pages inside a div? design the main page around a big div, and have the subsequent pages load inside the div?

Thank you to all for the help and responses

I think you could do it with just CSS and divs, but I don't think clicking would work. You'd have to just use hover states to display different info, kinda like how I did it on my home page. That may not be a good solution, though, unless you're going for a really unorthodox style of website.

I wonder if you could do basically that same thing using PHP includes, though? I haven't tried using them myself, but maybe someone else would know if that's possible?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I browsed through the thread on frames, and am not really sure why you folks dont seem to care for them. I can see the point of the search engine issue, but if the frames are built into a webpage, the only way I can see that happening is if one page does not load. There again, I am not completely sure how a search engine works. I have a test page setup with frames, and it works how I would like it to. The main reason for this is for the music, the links and everything are on the main page.

I appreciate the time you take to help me with this project.

Section8
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right, the problem with frames I already showed to you in that link I gave ... The thing is, googlebot doesn't follow the link of the inside frame, and thus your home page seems contentless ...
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there a way to accomplish the frames type setup without frames? IE, setting the music by itself, and the page loading around it? Thus when navigating away from the home page, the music continues to play? If not, I will work around it, and do something different.

Again, that you for all the help.

Section8ff
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
CSS Version of Frames

That is very cool.

Do you know any flash? Making an all-flash website isn't exactly the best idea though, but it sure would do what you are wanting it to do. My reasoning for not having an all flash website is this: what if the user gets to a specific page and they want to book mark it, it will show up as whatever.com in their favorites instead of whatever.com/one/two.html#three. Know what I mean?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you mean, and I hate when web pages do that to me, therefore I dont want to do that to anyone else. If I cant accomplish my mission, it will just stay how it is currently.

Again, thank you all for the help.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Frames will do the same thing. Your users will only see http://www.yoursite.com in the address bar no matter what page they are on.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

section8ff wrote:
...I am wanting to add a side bar, as a navigation setup along with the music player. I want the side bar to stay constant, and not change when I navigate to another website...

I'm assuming the point is that users can "take the music with them" to other pages and websites, right?

If all else fails, you may want to simply include a "Pop-out Player" link and have it open a small pop-up window containing the music player.

Not the most elegant choice, obviously, but if the music player is the focus, it could serve the purpose (I've seen it used effect on some online radio sites, and it works nicely for taking the music around while browsing).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts