Cross-Browser Mouse Coordinate Tracking: Impossible?

• CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to create a generic, simple JavaScript that detects the mouse coordinates of the user. Such a script should be able to work with Netscape, Explorer, Opera, Konqueror, iCab, and many other browsers that support JavaScript. However, I found that Opera, Konqueror, iCab, and several other browsers have failed to follow the current JavaScript standards on mouse coordinate tracking.

Does anyone know how I can work around this problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: SanLeon Tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is all i could find on the subject,

http://evolt.org/article/Mission_Imposs ... rmat=print

---------------------------------------------
Edited by ATNO

twiztit_momma - I changed your quote to a link. It wasn't appropriate to paste a whole discussion thread. In addition, you need to read the second sentence of the linked page:

"This article is the property of its author, please do not redistribute or use elsewhere without checking with the author."
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks... too bad all browsers don't follow the standard! If they did, it would make our lives much easier...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

cwp wrote:
I need to create a generic, simple JavaScript that detects the mouse coordinates of the user. (that workds for all browsers)

What about that old fashioned image map to CGI technique? The browser sends back the mouse coordinates and the CGI figures out where the click was.

Just a thought... since JS != cross platform.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:

What about that old fashioned image map to CGI technique? The browser sends back the mouse coordinates and the CGI figures out where the click was.

Well, that would work for some things... but I'm trying to make a script that allows users to drag and drop layers, so I need to use JavaScript to give the "real-time" effect.

That Evolt article seems to do the trick. The code it gave works with IE and Netscape... but for some reason it doesn't work with Mozilla. I'll have to play around with it some...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts