CSS design help needed

• holohead
  • Born
  • Born
  • holohead

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have designed a church website in CSS but I am struggling with making it display correctly at all resolutions. It's "best viewed in 1024x768" and I just want to make it work visually from 640x480 upwards. Most of the members of the church are over 50 and need big letters.

Is there any way of scaling the site to each resolution?

Also, I need a script of some kind that will just allow the Pastor to put a text file on the server and then simply have it display on the "pulpit" page. This is less important to me than the screen res.

Is it OK to put a link here? I've been doing my nut over this. Thanks!

Http://www.holohead.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks again!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im thinking the fact that you have that really huge picture in the background may have something to do with it. I do not profess to know alot about design, but I know for sure you are going to have a tough time telling a browser to scale that image to fit the window. And I really dont think it would be worth the work. Scale the bakcground image down so it will fit in a page on a 640x480 res and then work from there. Im sure the other webmasters on this site can give you better help though.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the big images are the main problem, but I would suggest that you can use:
Code: [ Select ]
body{
  background-image:url(theimageyouwant.jpg)
  background-position:50% 50%
}
  1. body{
  2.   background-image:url(theimageyouwant.jpg)
  3.   background-position:50% 50%
  4. }

So that as thepage resizes, the edges of the imagesgo off the screen, bt the center focal point does not get lost.

Then you need to sort out the text. For the first page -center it. For the other pages, use margins and floating/clearing to achieve the effects.

Ditch the position:absolute completely
  • holohead
  • Born
  • Born
  • holohead

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: Absolutely the big image is the problem thank you for your help!
  • holohead
  • Born
  • Born
  • holohead

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooh that's very good! If only I had known this when I started the project! But yes I am tracking with you 100% rtm223. Probably I am hoping that most of the users will at least work in 800x600 but no matter. As you say we have now moved the focal point to the center of the screen and that is what matters. Top advice. I wish I could shake your hand.
  • holohead
  • Born
  • Born
  • holohead

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just thought I'd let you know I decided to go down the frames road; it all fell in to place after that! Now I can do some designing!! Thanks!!

http://www.holohead.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/northside

But gosh didn't I have to cope with some bugs! !! Had to reboot every 10 mins at one point just to refresh the memory esp. when playing with CSS positioning of DIV containers. Then every time I saved a page FP was bizarrely adding a /head tag to the end of the documents!! not sure if it was frontpage, IE or Netscape... when in doubt, clear it out!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts