CSS Overflow Position the Scrollbars

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have thought there would be tons of stuff on this but I'm not finding it. I simply have a div tag that has overflow content and is set to auto so the scrollbar element is automatically created. There is only a horizontal scroll cause there's no height limit set. However, I would like this horizontal scrollbar at the top of the div tag rather that down at the bottom. Is this possible with CSS? I'm not sure how to call the overflow created scrollbar element so I can style it (hence change it's position).
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can't change scroll bar positions with CSS. Those are created by the browser dynamically when the content overflows the container bounds. I assume the only solution would be to create a fake scroll bar and then move the content with javascript in relation to the movement of the bar.

That said it seems like a really really bad idea from an interface standpoint to move the generally accepted position of a scroll bar. Scroll bars are ALWAYS at the bottom of the content they control and your going to confuse a lot of users by changing that.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That said it seems like a really really bad idea from an interface standpoint to move the generally accepted position of a scroll bar. Scroll bars are ALWAYS at the bottom of the content they control and your going to confuse a lot of users by changing that.

Yep. Generally, I wouldn't bother, but this application scrolls a good bit vertically. In this instance, if I could put the horizontal bar at the top it would actually work nicely. Right now, there's not anything to the user (being that they can see the bar cause it is at the bottom of the page) to confuse them except that the content is cut-off which is confusing in itself.

I'm actually looking at a jquery example of adding scrollable content.

Thanks. Though, You answered my question whether or not it was possible.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty much as long as you have a good reason I say go with it :-) I just talk to way too many people who make a decision like that from an aesthetic standpoint alone.

The nice thing with using jQuery is that you can make a custom looking bar that will be visually different enough from the browser chrome that it should cut down on the confusion.

Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts