CSS2.0 - How long do we have to wait?!

• gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

How long do you guys think it'll be before both Netscape and IE have full support for CSS 2.0? Just bought a wicked new book and most of the stuff I want to try out is still incompatible with most browsers. When is IE 7 coming out?! Sheesh!
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt all aspects of CSS 2.1 will ever make it into the top browsers. It is likely they will move towards adopting CSS3 in completion first.

This page includes references to information on how to deal with browser deficiencies: http://www.w3c.org/Style/CSS/
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I seriously doubt there will ever be a time when ALL browser have FULL support for any single standard. I think rjmthezonenet is right, we'll likely see implementations of CSS3 instead of more support for the CSS2 spec, or the CSS2.1 candidate spec.
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sucks! It seriously does. Microsoft need to get their ass in gear and sort it out. I dont think they are releasing a newer version of IE. Any rumours?

Iposted a thread on thier rubbish forum and dont think anyone's replied yet. :x
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

supposedly there's an updated version of IE coming out with XP SP2 this summer. It's supposed to include a pop-up blocker and other features. I would imagine it will have updated support for CSS as well.

Mark
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uzzo wrote:
That sucks! It seriously does.

Yes it does! I've been waiting for three years for an implementation of text counter. This would allow me to insert an automatically generated counter before each paragraph. That would help staff direct clients (over the phone), to specific paragraphs in our documentation.

At least the powers that be agreed to move towards standardization rather than away. Support for modern standards is much better than it ever was.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I have heard a lot of good things about sp2 that would be wonderful if it has updated support for css. Wish they would hurry up with that one
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My opinion...I don't think the original question can be answered by any of us here. I have been disapointed by browser support for current standards for several years...and now we have CSS 3 in the near picture. So, IE is purporting to have an upcoming revised browser. Hmmm...wonders what it will support. Will it be fully CSS2 compliant and nix some of the proprietary stuff in favor of standards, or will Mr. Gates and company continue the current non-standards-compliant trend (Keep in mind folks before you criticize -- I have for a long time been in support about how IE browsers almost always display pages as the author intended). I see Mozilla trying. I see Mozilla-based browsers being as close as possible to the strict interpretations of the standards.

Bottom line is that it all confuses the heck out of webmasters. I'm extremely for making a standard and my current thought is if you can't make your browser comapatible with the standard, then get out of the business!!!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Bottom line is that it all confuses the heck out of webmasters. I'm extremely for making a standard and my current thought is if you can't make your browser comapatible with the standard, then get out of the business!!!

I couldn't have said it better! :shock: It just drives me nuts that CSS2 was developed years ago and modern browsers still have little support for standards. Heck yeah, Internet explorer definitely displays my pages more as I intend than other browsers, but IE would be a thousand times more powerful if web developers like ourselves were enabled to use the full-power of CSS.

So, now, CSS3 is in development, few/none of the current browsers have much support for CSS2, and of course--in my obsession--I'm going to have to learn CSS3 and be ticked off waiting for a few more years!

As Sublime would sing, "Standardize it, don't criticize it. Standardize it, yeah, and I will advertise it...."

Oh wait, hmm, maybe I got that wrong. 8)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

arent there standards for each type of code, and why the hell are these companies not complying with it?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
well I have heard a lot of good things about sp2 that would be wonderful if it has updated support for css. Wish they would hurry up with that one

It gets worse. Even with the live update features of modern browsers, you can still count on a significant number of people not upgrading for a year or two after new releases.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

This should be a class action law suit (yours truly knowing nothing about the legal system...). Maybe that would whip them all in line.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think that you can sue a company that is making a browser for not complying with a standard. Those standards are guides that everyone should follow, but it is ultimately up to the company if it should follow it or not

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts