CSS3

• Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should I learn CSS3 or should I just move on to Javascript? CSS3 seems time consuming and hardly none of it is supported in IE, so I wouldn't be able to use any of it professionally on general web pages anyway. I think I would prefer to come back to it after learning the more important things. Because it is pretty damn cool.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

End of the day you will need both but make sure you understand CSS at least and know the basics of javascript. don't worry there is at least 3 more languages to learn after that :)
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

JavaScript looks exciting and intimidating. But, yes I have a decent understanding of html and css now. I'm not sure what else I need to learn about those two, but it seems like there should be more. I started learning this about 20 days ago. So, I assume there are things missing, but I've gone through the W3schools tutorials on CSS and HTML. Do they cover most of what I need to know regarding those two languages?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is not just learning the single functions, it is the experience writing everything and learning all the tricks of the trade. I am sure you have not manage to learn most of CSS in 20 days solid. If i client asked you to do something crazy then i am sure you will be posting up for help.

You need to prepare yourself for every expectation, if your developing in front of a client or having a boss watch over you. it is not good to be checking reference guides.

W3schools is the basics at the end of the day, it covers the general stuff your going to run into. Enough for you to stretch your wings and take your first flight.

If you want to really learn the most you can then get some books on advance techniques on languages then start making them examples.

If your able to make whatever you want the way you see it in your mind then your 90% there and won't get 100% till you got your 12 months experience just like anything else. I am in the same boat where i can pass the tests on w3schools but i am still learning each and every variable that comes with it. Memorizing each function and each way i can use it to make what i want.

You need to research what is out there and the extent of what you can make, it seams your trying to speed your way through and this is a very long journey.

Good luck
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I understand completely. Every time I learn something new, I try to find elaborate ways to use it, rather than just the way the examples are presented. I give myself my own tests and projects to help me memorize everything I've learned, and to help me use my imagination to see what the things I've learned are capable of, outside the scope that they are taught in (I'm not sure if I explained that clearly). I rarely have to refer to my notes. I already have like 50 different .html files of different mini-projects I've done to help me remember things, and then the bigger ones, like 4 or 5, are to exercise the range of the elements I've learned. I'm not just reading through it really fast. The reason I've gone through the html and CSS tutorials in a short time is because I've spent about 4-8 hours a day on learning it (which is easy because I absolutely love doing it), not because I'm just skimming through.
But, that was pretty much what I was asking. I was thinking those two tutorials were just the basics. I do need more in depth stuff on them. So, that's why I asked. And don't worry, I know that I'm very very far off from professional work. I will know elements/functions by heart before I worry about attracting clients. I don't want you to get the wrong idea about me. I take this seriously and I'm dedicated; I take your advice seriously, and you've been extremely helpful since the day I started.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't stress soo much i am in the same boat as you, i am still learning myself. Just never stop searching for better education and you will go far. The more you know the better you can sell yourself to clients.

BMW i am sure can write 10+ languages better then English and rents himself out for 100+ a hour and more. So better you can be the more you can demand.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's crazy lol. 100+ an hour. Pretty impressive.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kurthead+1 wrote:
That's crazy lol. 100+ an hour. Pretty impressive.

5-10 years of solid hard work and people can do it. If demand is high you can increase prices but just just plugging away and there is all ways support from Ozzu.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking that when I finally get started, without any reputation or portfolio, I'd be making like 15-20$ per hour?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts