Define the size in pixels of a textarea? (form)

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically what I want to do is make a form that is "exactly" 200 px wide so it will fit perfectly in a DIV I have. I know I can define the size somewhat precise with rows and cols but its clumsy and that's not what I want, is there a way to do this using CSS or something?

:|
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. Use a "style" attribute and define your width inside that style attribute just like you would in a stylesheet.

The style attribute works just like the rows and columns attributes. You can think of the style attribute like a place where you can apply CSS stylesheet rules directly to an element.

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<textarea style="width:200px;"></textarea>

The style attribute is valid for pretty much any element you'll ever have in your pages. You can even apply it directly to your <form> element.

Now, depending on what styles you have in your stylesheets already, for instance whether or not you're using a "CSS Reset", you might need to zero out the margin and padding on your element as well in order to get exactly 200 pixels.

<textarea style="width:200px; margin:0; padding:0;"></textarea>
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Yes. Use a "style" attribute and define your width inside that style attribute just like you would in a stylesheet.

The style attribute works just like the rows and columns attributes. You can think of the style attribute like a place where you can apply CSS stylesheet rules directly to an element.

<textarea style="width:200px;"></textarea>

The style attribute is valid for pretty much any element you'll ever have in your pages. You can even apply it directly to your <form> element.

Now, depending on what styles you have in your stylesheets already, for instance whether or not you're using a "CSS Reset", you might need to zero out the margin and padding on your element as well in order to get exactly 200 pixels.

<textarea style="width:200px; margin:0; padding:0;"></textarea>

I tried your suggestion and it does what I want. : ) Problem solved!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts