Design Inspiration :: Looking For Some Fresh Ideas

• Digi Stylers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been searching for some good places to find some design inspiration. Some original, fresh layouts to give me some ideas. Where do you get your inspiration from?

Regards,
Mark
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The world. It's hard to get inspiration from something on the web without leeching some of their ideas. It's best you go walk around and ponder different designs as you take in scenery or architecture or anything of that sort. You'll find you get some sort of inspiration.

I also am most creative after midnight, so I do a lot of site sketching if I can't sleep. That might help you aswell, just drawing out webpages.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tend to let the content requirements and functional need guide design, instead of vice versa.

I occasionally come across something on the web that sparks an idea, but it almost never happens when I go looking for it.

Otherwise, I agree with B. Sketch, doodle, muse, ponder enough and things tend to fall into place.

That's my nickel's worth of free advice. :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooh! A nickle is almost :my2cents: :my2cents: :my2cents: !
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make a true fluid resize effect :D I'm talking about when I resize a window instead of instantly expanding to fit the page, I want to see the original content size give a busted dam flowing into a valley to fill the rest of the window effect here :D

Just somthing I've thought about doing but haven't started on yet :D
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

so like javascript that runs constantly and checks to see if the window has grown, and when it does it pauses a few seconds then changes all the styles. That'd be cool...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really sure, thats why i've yet to really start on it :lol: I have a vision of water in a box from above, stoping time, making the box bigger, then resuming time once again watching the water flow out to fill the new space, slow enough to see the wavy edges of the water. Flash might be the easiest way to pull this off, more consistant masking and alpha controll. Though i'm sure it's possible with javascript as well :D
  • K-Anator
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • K-Anator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I also am most creative after midnight, so I do a lot of site sketching if I can't sleep. That might help you aswell, just drawing out webpages.

same here :)
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://websoup.org

lists an assload of design inspirations, great resource for all.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

K-Anator wrote:
b_heyer wrote:

same here :)

same here, but I am usually too tierd to do anything, and when I am tired I spell everything wrong and can't type.

Also listening to music is pretty inspiring as well. or Watching a really good movie.
  • oblongintellect
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • oblongintellect

Post 3+ Months Ago

My wife makes me go to bed after midnight. :( Personally, I like to build a solid foundation of functionality first, then take design into mind. It's easy to amend your site with new aspects of style but it's quite difficult to break apart your foundation and build anew. I take my inspiration from everything around me. I almost always have something cookin'. I only wish I had more of an ability to make vision into reality through script then I would really be something.

-OI
  • Gnome_101
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I normally look at other sites that have similar conent, and go in a diffrent direction then they do. I hate to have something out there that someone else has done, so most of my work is unique to me. I tend to sit down with some really good music and MX studio open and just fly around untill I find something that I really like. Take a look around your room(or house) perhaps some designes you like in your house could be helpfull.
  • nuflo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: new york

Post 3+ Months Ago

one of my drawing teachers back at art school used to get really mad when we would sketch what we see, or what we thought we saw, in the way we thought we should. totally pissed him off cuz it didn't allow for any exploration or random learning. so his answer was, to make us put the paper on the floor, put the charcoal in our opposite foot(left foot if you are a righty), and then draw with our "wrong" toes. that was basically such an extremely hard thing to do, plus we were soooo unfamiliar with the feeling of creating that way, that we ended up really learning a lot about drawing. i guess it just forces you to dump your tried and true methods and look at the creation with a totally open child's mind. don't know if this helps but, it's what i think of when i'm trying to reach into a creative place i haven't been to before.
peace
ian@nuflo

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts