Design tip -- Favicons - that small icon in the address bar.

• preetnavsingh
  • Born
  • Born
  • preetnavsingh
  • Loc: Brisbane

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think photoshop is a good tool to make fav icon ...
There are other softwares like mogambo and pixelate
but i think if you know how to use photoshop you would be able to do it ..
  • igauresh
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • igauresh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just recently started using favicons. I think they are so cool. They really customize the site and give it that little extra something ...class? I love designing my own little graphics for these. I usually draw one or find some clipart and then shrink it in my photography program. Check out http://www.kewldrummerz.info for an example.
  • raj4encoders
  • Born
  • Born
  • raj4encoders
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey!i use jpg and it works for Opera and Moz. Opera even shows the icon in full size when switching pages.Thanks & Happy Christmas.
raj
  • gerard
  • Born
  • Born
  • gerard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Further to this discussion, does anyone know why this page favicon only works in Firefox and not IE 6/7?

http://www.vinuminvestments.com/

I'm baffled, bordering on tearing my hair out :-(
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I logged in to post a question and, in the meantime, have found a bunch of other neat things here I didn't even know I was looking for! I've been copying and pasting info like mad and saving it all to my 'handy tips and instructions' folder

Just followed the instructions above and made a cute little favicon for my site and added it to the code, for when I get the site completed and uploaded

I'd forgotten I used to occasionally make icons using Microangelo for a games company I worked for about 8 years ago. I never did know how they applied them to the games after I made them but now I have a use for them myself, so have just used the Photoshop plugin to create one and added it to the <HEAD>...</HEAD> section of the website I'm making.

Now, if I can just get the answer to the query I posted, I'll be a happy bunny. Knowing this forum, someone will provide me with the answer soon enough

Regards,
Ceri
  • rickholly
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made a favicon using the online tool. It does not work. I think I know why it does not work. It is located at rickholly.com. I use URL forwarding for the website. In other words, it is not the root directory. The root directory is miamivalley.info. I tested the same favicon on miamivalley.info that I tried to use on rickholly.com. It works. So, I am guessing the problem is rickholly.com needs to be the root directory. rickholly.com is really at http://miamivalley.info/rickholly.

Does anyone know if I can use favicon and URL forwarding. I hope I am making my problem clear to all of you.

Thanks for any assistants. I think my sixth graders would get a kick seeing my favicon on our school website.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My favicon works just fine and my website is same as yours.

try adding this to your <head>

Code: [ Select ]
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="path to ico" />
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rickholly wrote:
Does anyone know if I can use favicon and URL forwarding. I hope I am making my problem clear to all of you.

Maybe it's easier to upload your favicon on another server.
Maybe something like tinypic.com or photobucket.

Then you link directly to that picture:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="www.photobucket.com/...." />
Moderator Remark: Added [code] tags
  • SawanM
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SawanM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, most people should make a favicon, it looks a little bit extra to your website.
  • dougadam
  • Loc: Traverse City, Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also there are many sites that offer real-time favicon editors without having to download a program
  • impala_07
  • impala_07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some time back, I had an email from a visitor asking me how I managed to have thefreecountry.com's icon displayed next to my URL in his browser's location bar. In fact, had he checked carefully, he would also have noticed that the icon is also used in his "Favorites" menu.

Internet Explorer ("IE") 5.0 and above has a facility where, if someone bookmarks your website (ie puts it in their "Favorites" menu), it associates a particular icon with your website in the bookmark. It tries to obtain that icon by first requesting for "favicon.ico" from the directory of your web page. If it cannot find such a file, it will try to obtain it from the root directory of your website, failing which, it will simply use a default icon for the bookmark.

On the other hand, the favicon.ico file is available, the icon will also be displayed beside your website name in the "Favorites" menu, the location bar in IE, and if the user opens up the "Favorites" folder, it will be the icon used for the link to your site.

Mozilla Firefox, and probably also the new versions of Netscape (which are based on the Mozilla browser code), also have the ability to use the favicon.ico file, except that Firefox also accepts the file in other graphics formats, such as the PNG format. It displays the "favicon.ico" in the location bar of the browser (the part that shows your website's URL). The latest version of Opera also loads the favicon.ico file into the address bar if available.
Moderator Remark: Spam link(s) removed
  • crazzyDemon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use ImageIcon
this program convert from png to ico format
and you can set up a quality of output icon

home page of this program:
http://deviouscodeworks.co.uk/dcmain.html
  • ccmon
  • ccmon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use jpg and it works for Opera and Moz. Opera even shows the icon in full size when switching pages.
  • website-design
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • website-design

Post 3+ Months Ago

does the jpg work for IE?
  • ben_sigma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: South Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi i have found that this program is really good for creating .ico files. It is called IrfanView;

and is downloadable from a mirror at their website

http://www.irfanview.com/

Best of all its Free. YAY!

8)
  • cizzi
  • Born
  • Born
  • cizzi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was struggling to find a freeware application to convert image formats to .ico and finally I came across a website that does this for you online for free. The link is http://www.favicon.co.uk/

Hope you guys find it usefull as well..
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

its best to use photoshop to create icons, i believe the plugin is called icon factory, just use any image and crate an ico file, simple, easy and fast :)
google the plugin, type "photoshop icon factory"

good luck
  • AbhishekSingh
  • Born
  • Born
  • AbhishekSingh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like http://www.favicontool.com - Easy to Use & Brower incompartibility.
  • HKt0p5
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I see about the code but..
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico">

I just recently finally got a domain after years of badly wanting one and looking for free hosts and all that, it's at 2iphost.com thing, but there I can't quite get what my main directory is. I'll try that code and if it doesn't work, I'll show what the situation is and hope for help how to make it work.
  • vikashktr
  • vikashktr
  • Loc: Delhi, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Here you go:

You can change blogger favicon by using this code. I have also did it on my blog.
  • WTWASP
  • Born
  • Born
  • WTWASP

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some time ago I Googled for some type of icon utility that would create icons from scratch or convert standard images (.jpg, .bmp, .gif, etc) to .ico, and found Icon Art 2.0, and have since been an icon-creating fiend. I make icons for desktop icons, file folders (including many programs on the Program Files folder, if the .exe contained does not already offer one, or if the default sucks), and URL bookmarks/favorites shortcuts.

I'm happy with it, it gets the job done, and I can not only create or convert, I can edit too. It was freeware - not bad at all when you consider "you get what you pay for" these days.

WTW
  • eeustath
  • Born
  • Born
  • eeustath

Post 3+ Months Ago

A free utility for Windows and Linux is png2ico, Extract it to the C Drive.

Then, create an image that is at least 32×32 pixels in your image editor.

For Photoshop for example, Create a new doc, Set 32×32 pixels for the size. Create our website graphic.

Do a 'Save for Web' and save it as a PNG with a filename such as icon-32.png to the same folder as the program. To reduce the size you can decrease the colors to 16

Now, resize your website imae to 16×16 pixels. Save it as a PNG filename (icon-16.jpg for example) in the same directory.

Next, open up the command line - Try Start → Programs → Accessories → Command Prompt. Go to the same program/file folder were png2ico.exe is located, and merge the two PNG files you made into one ICO file.

For example - png2ico.exe favicon.ico --colors 16 icon-32.png icon-16.png .
Now, you should have your website favicon created. Upload it to the root of your site, and link it with something like <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/ico" href="/favicon.ico" />

Hope this utility idea helps your website development efforts!

Stathi
  • nancy123
  • Born
  • Born
  • nancy123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello dear,

Thanks for share with us good knowledge. Good keep it up.
  • oskillzzo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • oskillzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have photoshop, i used the telgraphics plugin

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutoria ... vicon.html
  • davekeys
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Orange County

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd bother more to do this if IE would play nice, but they just put in that stupid [huge]e[/huge]
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

vikashktr wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:
Here you go:

You can change blogger favicon by using this code. I have also did it on my blog.

You know you are ment to call it a favicon.ico and not use CAPS but it still works so it would be
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico">
8)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, for the record, four years ago when I first posted this it all worked just fine with HTML 4.0
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it's in XHTML 1.0 where all tags are now lowercase and thus the capitals one doesn't validate ...
  • littlephoenix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use a plugin for photoshop called iconfactory, it converts any image or anything you crate into an icon file ICO, :)
  • ayelletkod
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ayelletkod

Post 3+ Months Ago

A long time ago i have read an article explaining why that happens - why fabicons disappear from favorites list, leaving behind them a regular 'e' logo :(
It was such a silly reason, nothing to do with downloading programs to fix it.

But theres no chance i can recall where or even when i read it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 91 posts