Designing sites using Photoshop

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to hate them until I understood how they worked :D
I hate having to change my CS2 settings around depending on whether I'm working on photos or other stuff, though. I know there's workspaces but default/last actions don't change!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• websushil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • websushil

Post 3+ Months Ago

IcyDragoon wrote:
I always use photoshop to create the designs and slice them up into parts, then manually write codes to fit them in the page ^^

Its a nice software ^^ I am creating all my images using it, hehe.

Definitely photo shop is the best software to design pictures. use photoshop and make your website great.Good Luck
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
what are you talking about gif is beautiful! especially for vector based artwork and text. plus it saves down to next to nothing file size wise! :D

I think the only time GIFs should still be used is if you're restricted by file size. Small PNGs like the ones you use for text-based images don't take up all that much space, though, and they look a whole lot better. Check out the navigation links on this site, for example. I changed them to text-only for IE6, but in modern browsers they're done using background PNGs. I don't think you can do that with GIFs.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You sure can't - but that is an example of how PNGs should be utilized, not replacing GIFs.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thank you for the replies. I seriously can't believe i forgot about posting this already. My last few weeks have been super hectic, so i'll use that as my excuse.

Some good advice here. I think i always knew that it was something i should start looking at. I was just more concerned about how messy things would be behind the scenes. I need to really start looking into using this as it would just be ideal for the kind of website i need to start developing.

The link you left ATNO/TW seems to show a good tutorial, however the Photoshop that user is using is very old and as far as i can see there is no such thing as Imageready in Photoshop CS3, so for slicing the iamges i'm not 100% sure on what to do.

Thanks everyone for the good replies so far.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been doing it all wrong!

I look at notepad/vi, and create a page layout. (2 column, funky, etc).
I create all the html/css and then I start thinking of coloring/pics.
A picture forms in my head, then I try to graphically fill it.

I think perhaps its from doing sites in a non x11 gentoo environment =\
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know somebody who does sites like that. He's a solid programmer and his sites are functional, but he seriously lacks in creativity.
  • Darkmike
  • Born
  • Born
  • Darkmike

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with you guys. My last client runs a production studio in florida and when we met with him to build him a new site he had the whole thing the way he wanted it already done in photoshop. This obviously doesn't happen everyday but it was awesome. i'm using photoshop for all my pre development work now. the site was built and put up in a matter of hours. (it was a very simple site)
  • mobergh
  • Born
  • Born
  • mobergh

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first post in here! :)

Here's my development-stages in short:

*Collect info about the client/customer
*Start quickdrawing on paper...(I can't draw good)
*In to photoshop and make a "draft" that client/customer can coment.
*draw "boxes" on a paper that will bi needed to place the graphic.
*decide which type of boxes(divs, p, span etc.)to use and then name them (id). And all this on paper too.(this makes it very easy to code right and to know how the boxes will relate to eachother.
*In to dreamweaver an start coding both XHTML and CSS.

*sometimes the making/saving of separet pictures from Photoshop draft is made before i start to code and sometimes after - all choosen through inspiration! =)

I hope you can read even though my spelling & grama' ai'nt that good.
  • michaelt
  • michaelt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know theres a program called site grinder which dosn't require any slicing. I have never used it but I know it it makes the whole process alot simpler.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts