Did someone talk some sense into the folks at Microsoft ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
We’ve decided that IE8 will, by default, interpret web content in the most standards compliant way it can. This decision is a change from what we’ve posted previously.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/0 ... d-ie8.aspx

While I like the sounds of that, I can't help but cringe at Microsoft making gameplan changes already. It's like Deja Vista.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first comment on that blog is a gem.
Quote:
# re: Microsoft's Interoperability Principles and IE8
Monday, March 03, 2008 5:51 PM by Larry

That's great. When will you support alpha transparency in PNG?

Quote:
# re: Microsoft's Interoperability Principles and IE8
Monday, March 03, 2008 7:44 PM by Peter

No, seriously, when are you going to support alpha on PNG files? Every time I try it, it almost works, but then it doesn't.

For example, it doesn't print correctly. What I expect is something that looks like the screen. What I get is an opaque blob.

Anyone tried printing transparent PNG files from IE7 ? Is it really an opaque blob ?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was that a pig I just saw fly by?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um no. I will believe it when I see it. Like I will believe that was a pig and not another bulls**t story by microsoft to make our lives easier.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to play with Beta 1 you can do so.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... nstall.htm

Here is a list of the "exciting" new features.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... atures.htm
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the sounds of the Activities thing in the context menu. Especially if it's easily configurable & doesn't come preloaded with a bunch of crapware that doesn't want to go away.

The favorites bar just makes me want to cry, and not tears of joy.

I'd like to know what extent Automatic Crash Recovery goes to to recover a tab.
I can rip the battery out of my laptop & Opera will startup with an option to take me right back to where I was before the system lost power.

Think I'm going to wait a bit before I check out the rendering abilities.
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks just like that hunk of junk that comes bundled with vista. Sorry to say. "I don't care what M$ do with a browser" as I will continue to carry Firefox around on a stick. They have lost the plot, and they know it. I can just see the "activities" now.. A heap of online trials that have expired by the time you get to see the browser.. Don't they understand that machines sit in warehouses and shops for months and months on end? Vista isn't an easy sell around here.

I apologize for the sarcasm and bashing but.. Having to deal with the hated vista on a daily basis (brand new shop virgin machines) removing the bloat and expired applications and trying to deal with the retarded permissions nag nag damn thing I have got to the point of booting a live linux disk and just gutting the things. Then it's opera or firefox all the way along with a heap of other FOSS applications. No keys, no rendering problems, no bloat.. and NO ROXIO!!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone has already created the Activities plugin for FireFox so if you are excited about that feature just get the plugin for FF and be done with it.

Vista comes with IE7.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait... Does this mean we've got to start testing for THREE versions of IE? Balls.

The activities bit doesn't look too awful - from the look of the screenshot it's basically a "search/translate/look-up/map/ect." with this or that Windows Live service - just a way of keeping people using Live rather than going to Google.

The favourites bar doesn't bother me, really, considering most browsers have a bookmarks toolbar available at this point, and that's essentially all it is. As long as one can turn it off, if desired.

The WebSlices seems just like a way to compete with "Live Bookmarks" (for XML feeds) and bookmarks with "Live Titles" (bookmark name changes to reflect site updates). Nothing really new there.

Honestly, the only part that really worries me is the Automatic Crash Recovery. Considering that every other troubleshooting or recovery tool I've ever seen from Microsoft (from the built-in Windows troubleshooters to that damn "Send Error Report" button) serves no purpose other than to get in the way and waste time. Hopefully this one won't, because it seems a pretty straight-forward addition, but with the IE team behind it, who knows?

I've got my fingers crossed, but I'm not letting my hopes get too high.

Guess I'll toy with the Beta later on today... Might as well start getting it over with now.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
We’ve decided that IE8 will, by default, interpret web content in the most standards compliant way it can. This decision is a change from what we’ve posted previously.

Oh... you did? What made you decide on that? Jeeze, with all the sh!t MS Products gave up that line of words make me angry... NOW??? Why not on IE1??? Oooh, I see... you are loosing costumers and ranking on IE gotta do something about it right? So you switch to the "standards of the web". I HATE MICROSOFT!!! Their Operating systems is nothing but *bleep* (You don't want to know what it is) and yet many people are using them.

Yeah yeah, Bill Gates might be rich and it seems he gave up on it...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, you do know that Gates stepped down from Microsoft a few years ago, right?

I see so many people who love to badmouth Microsoft but when asked about specific things that they hate them for, can't come up with any.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The specifics behind my "hate" on Microsoft is that they (even though Bill Gates is gone... Didn't know that) created some faulty products. Maybe they tried to create their own standards for the web or maybe they had decided to cause it to be a pain at being a web developer/programmer... Don't know the reasoning behind their uncompliance with the "web standard".
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey's Posts wrote:
wicked!

Anyway, Bogey ... Which OS do you use?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be fair, Microsoft created some products that work very well. They just didn't take into account that people would be trying to break them.

If we're going to hang anyone, it should be the people who go out of their way to break things.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If we're going to hang anyone, it should be the people who go out of their way to break things.

QA teams? Beta testers? Demolition crews? Lumberjacks?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No spork, I'm refering to the people who look for ways to use an application that would only be done in a situation where someone is trying to break the application.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, I know. I was attempting to make a funny. :|

At the moment, I'm watching my roommate as he tries to get Vista to stop bluescreening on reboot and cussing Microsoft to all hell, while I sit here and revel in the fact that I haven't had a single OS-related issue since I installed XP this past summer.

Not all Microsoft products are complete piles of trash, but like you said, people do go out of their way to try and prove otherwise.

P.S.: He tried the "you can't use DX10" argument. I responded with the "I can use my OS" retort.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it looks like this is going to be a wash.

Quote:
In March, Microsoft announced that their upcoming Internet Explorer 8 would: "use its most standards compliant mode, IE8 Standards, as the default."

This week, the promise was broken. It lasted less than six months. Now that Internet Explorer IE8 beta 2 is released, we know that many, if not most, pages viewed in IE8 will not be shown in standards mode by default. The dirty secret is buried deep down in the «Compatibility view» configuration panel, where the «Display intranet sites in Compatibility View» box is checked by default. Thus, by default, intranet pages are not viewed in standards mode.

... Click here to read the rest

Hopefully it's a bug.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts