A dinosaur died. A Flock was born.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may be addressing semi-old news, but as I've started to return to professional design, I decided today to download my former browser favorite Netscape only to find that AOL ended support for it in March 2008.

Quote:
Given AOL's current business focus and the success the Mozilla Foundation has had in developing critically-acclaimed products, we feel it's the right time to end development of Netscape branded software. Read the history page for more details about this decision.

http://browser.netscape.com/

I fondly remember the days of Netscape 3.0 Gold - my very first and long time favorite web browser. I remember patiently waiting the 8+ hours it took to download the 8MB update files on dial-up. I remember putting Netscape aside when it became bloated beyond belief after the addition of the Gecko engine in favor of the lighter weight Thunderbird/Firefox.

Today I discovered a browser I didn't know existed. Perhaps I'm behind the times, but I'm giving the new Flock browser a go today.
http://flock.com/

Quote:
The award-winning Flock browser has all of the advantages of Firefox, with your favorite friends, photos and videos along for the ride
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm i didn't like flock. i dont really know why.. might just be me being stubborn :-X 'ts been out for a little while now though.. i think i felt that i didn't do enough things media-related to justify using it as i have a preference to firefox :-X
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't knew that netscape was/is being dumped :shock: I always imagined it to be riving against IE and FF... well, the news are old, but I tend not to care much about browsers as long as they work good... and FF didn't fail my test yet :D while IE did.

// AnarchY SI... I like your sig :lol:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I didn't knew that netscape was/is being dumped :shock: I always imagined it to be riving against IE and FF...

Netscape == Mozilla
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh oops my bad... Don't laugh at me :oops:
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
// AnarchY SI... I like your sig :lol:

why thank you ^_^ after much searching i stole it from someone else on some random board & pretty much its my fav. lol
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't that taken with Flock either - mind you, I only tried it when it very first came out. It might be different now. I've ditched Firefox in favour of Opera these days :)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
I've ditched Firefox in favour of Opera these days :)

i'm sorry :/ lol

i just tried installing the flock 2 beta and every time i try to run it it freezes this computer :-X /unimpressed
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
katana wrote:
I've ditched Firefox in favour of Opera these days :)

i'm sorry :/ lol

Well, on my main Linux box anyway. On Windows, FF runs fine, however FF's rendering engine is horrendous on Linux when dealing with some CSS/JavaScript content. For instance, in FF, when scrolling on this site http://www.oakparkfoundation.org/ (which has a static background image) causes Xorg to run the CPU at 99%. In Opera, the same page runs fine - there are no scrolling issues at all no strain put on the CPU.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

FF doesn't even support Java when you have to view the applet it closes down the whole browser, after 2-3 minutes turning it on.

I'm patiently waiting for the next update in hope they will do something about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts