directing visitors 2 a link only for the 1st time they visit

• imacBoyTr
  • Born
  • Born
  • imacBoyTr
  • Loc: Istanbul - Turkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there.

I'm trying to make a welcome page (that indicates to enable Javascript) for my website. What I want with this page is to direct the viewer to the main page in a specified time (that I can do in meta tag). What I can't solve out is the way to make this page available only once in the same computer (probably by a cookie or a calculation), that is, I want this page to be seen only once by "that computer" only at the first visit. I don't want a popup window cuz the welcome page is written totally in HTML.

I am thinking that the index page should have some kind of script that should direct the visitor -only at his first time" to e.g. a.html and all the other times to b.html.

How can I achieve that? Does any of you know the solution? I'll be sooo glad to know. Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, basically, you set your script to look for a cookie. If the cookie doesn't exist, send 'em to the URL and create the cookie. If the cookie does exist, carry on as normal.
  • imacBoyTr
  • Born
  • Born
  • imacBoyTr
  • Loc: Istanbul - Turkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anybody know how to take all that steps? I've never worked with cookies before...
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry to go a little off topic but is it important to have a popup?
a lot of people have popup blockers these days and if its important info in the popup, people may not see it. how about a page redirect?

not sure about cookies, havent used them either

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts