The Page is this:

http://www.futuremovies.co.uk/friendly_ ... sp?movie=2

What am I doing wrong?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest that google understands some of the stylesheet but not all of it, therefore is only caching the bits that it can use - half the stylesheet is gone from what I can see. I don't know what kind of problems this causes though?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don’t think so because the browser would fetch the style sheet from the HTML like any other page.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well this is the cached version of http://www.alistapart.com who are pretty knowledgeable on the old CSS thing:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:fw ... part&hl=en

It shows unformatted too.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I think it is something at google's end.

In what way does this worry you?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our clients (Fox, Film 4, Sony etc...) promo companies use the caches to look for content on a page that may have been overwritten the day they come to taking a screenshot for their bosses or for their bosses to take a look. Its no big deal its just something I would like to sort out. I will take a look at your link.

It could be a XHTM v HTML 4.01 thingy in which case I cant do nothing about cos my editors only know HTML 4.01 and there is too much info in the db tables to convert unless I code it to replace... this may slow down server.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It shouldn't be that - as long as your doctype matches the page you should be fine - The idea is for things to be backwards compatible with older versions of html.

This is your problem:

Code: [ Select ]
position:absolute; top: 20px

This is placing your content on top of the google - inserted table at the top.

You don't really need position:absolute for that page, just leave everything as unformatted block-level elements and then float the image.

That way the top of your page will clear the bottom of the google bits and everything will be fine and dandy again :)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I know what you are getting at but the reason I have done that is because my navigation is at the bottom in the HTML but shown at the top in the browser. This is because I want all my limited DIV layouts to empower Accessibility and screen readers from now on... I dont want blind people to have to skip the nav bavbar to start reading a page. It also helps a little in SEO because the navigation is not in the way.

I suppose I just cant have it both ways.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you are saying, I try to do that where possible. There are a few things you could do:

put everything into a wrapper div, giv the wrapper div position:relative, and then use position:absolute for the rest of the elements. Make sure the wrapper has no padding or margins on. That is the easiest way, the wrapper will be pushed down and so the absolute positioned elements inside will be too.

That way you can have it both ways :D

of course if this is just a printable version you can put the stylesheet in a link with the print media selector, and then it will only ever be seen with on paper, and doesn't need navigation for printing, just display:none; then lay out the page as I suggested before.

There is always a way Johan :D
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds good... still learning DIVs so will give it ago.

Whats a print media selector?

Anyway get back to work unless your unemployed!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh whats a print media selector? You are gonna love this:

with your link tag, have two:

to one add media="screen", to the other add media="print"

You get one stylesheet for the screen then when someone clicks print or print preview, it loads a completely different stylesheet.

You only need the one html document, and no more "pritable copy" links

Back to a list apart again, they use it, so you can see an example, and they also have a good tutorial on it:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/

you can also do the same ind of thing with mobile phones to make your site more accessible to portable devices. Very handy.

I am employed but no-one ever pays attenion to what I'm doing :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts