div at right absolutely breaks with horizontal scroll

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a chat/logon div that is positioned absolutely and has a right value of 0. But when I narrow the browser and then scroll to the side it doesn't stay in the right place... The only partial fix I can find is to use position: fixed; but then it follows vertically, which I do not want. The page is:
http://andrewspencer.me.uk/~frogsftw/naa/

Can anyone help me fix this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know of a way around that, but out of curiosity why don't you want to use position:fixed? It seems like that would be a logical way for a chatbox to behave.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already said, why would I want it to move vertiacally? Now I have 2 replies and it's unlikely anyone else will reply...
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to mention your chat box extends into the main content area...
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
I already said, why would I want it to move vertiacally? Now I have 2 replies and it's unlikely anyone else will reply...

I didn't know there was a relationship between the number of replies and the likelihood of getting additional replies...

One thing that would fix your problem is to put the login form and chatbox inside your container div. You'd have to reposition the elements so everything fits together nicely, but that would get rid of the scroll issue.

Plus, the way it is now the header does weird things in Firefox when you resize the browser with the chatbox closed.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

O, yes i noticed some sort of heat smarting now, it doesnt happen when I use display: none; once it's closed.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright. The problem is NOT with the chat box but with the content div (contMid)? is too wide. I'm sure that's it unless I misunderstood something.

About the headers and the Chat... I use Firefox and it does a weird thing to the header when I resize it with the chat box closed... Not a big thing and I doubt that you will loose visitors because of it. Just taking it to your notice.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well ive never asked anyone to help me move it off the content, nobody has even responded to my problem yet :/ but nevermind, I won't get help in this thread
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're using tags that aren't cross-browser transitional - figure out a new way to do it or take some of the advice given here.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

no i'm not, and theres no advice here
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bozebo wrote:
no i'm not, and theres no advice here

Wow.

Look, that's just the way absolute positioning works when the element's not nested inside anything. Maybe there's some magic hack that can fix your problem, but it doesn't seem like anyone here has it. Either way, I think the best thing would be to rethink your design a little.

As I said above, if you expand your container div and put the chatbox inside that, you'll fix the scroll problem. And I think you'll end up with a much more robust site than if you add extra hacks and workarounds anyway.

Just my opinion, though, you can do whatever you want obviously.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to add that you're creating a site that has HTML in the title - obviously implying some type of reference to the language. Be it a service or a resource or whatever, poorly utilizing available code is in no way going to help your effort. Your first goal in a website should <i>always</i> be functionality and making it look smooth. If that means having to scrap something you wanted to do to make it work using a different means, then do it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand that the problem is probably getting you mad. I also understand that you want it fixed. What I DON'T understand is, why are you mad at US? We are actually, contrary to your believes, are trying to help you. It's the matter of the fact that you don't receive the help and call us no-helpers.

If you did receive the help that we are giving you, you would take the following quote as a help to your problem that you have posted. The following quote is in fact about your problem. If you notice, when you resize your browser, the contMid stops resizing and stays fixed giving you a vertical scroll bar. Is that helping or is that you not reading?
Bogey wrote:
Alright. The problem is NOT with the chat box but with the content div (contMid)? is too wide. I'm sure that's it unless I misunderstood something.

Going to off topic a little bit. Taking the idea of this from Family Guy, You know what grinds my gears? People who don't read replies or take help when it is given and say that help is not given :x

Don't take this offensive although I can't hope you won't take this offensive... after all, you take help as offensive even when you ask for it.

It will be helpful for you if you start taking help as help and at least trying to see if it helps. If you don't think it helps, try it anyway and quit being stubborn and giving people hard time trying to help you. You will feel like a dick if you later on try to do some of these suggestions and realize that some of them DID actually work, after you posted a lot of things that said that won't work and flame them for trying to help you. Believe me, I done that before.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts