div section allignment

• iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys, what i am trying to do is have a 3-columned website with basically vertical toolbars on either side column. so far i have done the three column business via having all three float to the left, but i cannot seem to get the div sections in each of the side columns to stack well... the tables i have placed in them end up overlapping. any suggestions? i just dod two divs inside the sidebar div, nothing fancy. thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want to see the code, here it is. (this is just the left column. it is properly positioned.)

<div class="sidebar"></sidebar on the left.!>

<form action="search.php" method="post">
<table align="right" class="profile">
<th colspan="2">[SEARCH A FRIEND]</th>
<tr><td>[USERNAME]</td><td><input type="text" id="username" name="username"></td></tr>
<tr><td>[FIRST NAME]</td><td><input type="text" id="firstname" name="firstname"></td></tr>
<tr><td>[LAST NAME]</td><td><input type="text" id="lastname" name="lastname"></td></tr>
<tr><td colspan="2"><p align="center"><input type="submit" value="[SEARCH]"></p></td></tr>
</table>
</form>

<br>
<table align="right" class="profile">
<tr><td><a href="index.php">[GO TO MAIN LOBBY]</a></td></tr>
</table>

</div>

the profile class of tables just sets the color and font, nothing special, and the sidebar class of div sets it to float: left; width:23%;. appreciate it
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wheres a link? But after you float left, you usually want to clear="left"
  • iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay that seems to work, but now there is a new problem. it seems that on some browsers and/or smaller computer screens (im not sure which one) scrollbars appear for some of the div sections. anyway to override or fix this without making the divs bigger? thx
  • iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh yeah- the link is http://www.deucebook.com
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can override the scrollbars by putting overflow:hidden; in your CSS, but you may want to shrink the contents so they fit and can be read.

Also, did you know that your divs are bright red in firefox? I figured that was by design until I pulled the site up in IE and they were tan there.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ugh, I'm not sure if he changed them but they're now a solid purple colour. It makes it very difficult to read ;)
  • iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah okay thanks. about the color changing- i made it so it randomizes a color for the theme from a list i made... i didnt know that purple was on there. have to fix that.ok thanks
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It gives the scrolls when the content overflows the div. And that happens because the inputs are there, and not only that but because there are a lot of content. Maybe put those two divs at the side as fixed?
  • joejoe04
  • Born
  • Born
  • joejoe04

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do overflow:hidden; but that will cause some of the content to not be visible. I would suggest possibly putting the word "Username" in one row, then put the text input field in the row below it. And the same for the rest of the inputs. The columns are just not wide enough to have them in the same row. The other things you could possibly do is use a min-width for your page, make the fonts smaller, or make the columns fixed width.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

iochinome wrote:
yeah okay thanks. about the color changing- i made it so it randomizes a color for the theme from a list i made... i didnt know that purple was on there. have to fix that.ok thanks

That explains it! I've seen a lot of strange inconsistencies between IE and Firefox, but that was a new one to me.. lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts