Does restricting View Source effect search engine spiders?

• webmistress
  • Born
  • Born
  • webmistress

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you use code to keep people from viewing your source code, does it effect how webbots and spiders see the website?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, it is impossible to have the View-Source inaccessible to people. If you found some effective way to do that, we would all like to check that out. And why would want to do that anyway?

2nd, if people cannot see the source codes, for all posibilities the search bots cannot see them either. No source code, nothing to crawl or index.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You cannot keep people from viewing your source code. If a browser can view your source code, then a person can, by carrying out the same algorithm to unmunge your source that browsers can do by interpreting your javascript. (I presume you are using some javascript to decrypt encrypted source. The thing is, you're giving the algorithm to the visitor as well as the ciphertext. Which means the visitor can easily decrypt it. (If you are merely blocking right-clicking or something of that sort, bypassing is trivial, of course.))

That raises the question: Why are you trying to hide your source code? Do you think that you have some brand new technique with HTML/CSS/Javascript that nobody else knows how to use, and you want to keep it secret? If you do, to what end? The odds are approximately 10^50:1 that you don't, of course.

Are you afraid that somebody will copy your layout? They don't need your source code to do that.

To summarize in three points:
1. If browsers can view your unencrypted source code, so can people.
2. There is no reason to hide your source code, except those which are unbackable by sound logic.
3. If a browser can run javascript to decrypt your source code, so can Web spiders. It is possible for a Web spider to run through Internet Explorer. However, this does not mean that a spider will decrypt your source code.

I will remit statement number 2, if you can provide a counterexample.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was like 2 seconds away from ending this post since it's a completely repetative question here...but I read Sam Hughes reply and that is extremely usefull. Thanks for that Sam. I hope you and others can build on that.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you remember this thread?

http://www.ozzu.com/programming-forum/how-hide-your-source-code-t23003.html

It was sort of an April Fools Joke. At least the Thread title...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts