Download counter

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been a little while since the last time I looked for one of these but it just occured to me that this is probably a good place to ask.

I have a few Winamp skins on my website (as my signature suggests) and I would like to add download counters for each of these skins on their individual pages.

A few months ago I spent a fair amount of time searching for scripts to use or whatever info I needed to get one of these working on my skin pages, however I ended up not really finding what I needed and didn't get anything going..

In some cases I have searched for things on the internet on and off for months and found nothing, then come back to it several months later and done a quick search and found exactly what I had been looking for the entire time within the first few links! It helps to know exactly what you are looking for, aka terminology/keywords.. Nonetheless it's really frustrating when you just can't seem to find what you're looking for..

Here is an example of one of my skins at Skinbase.org. The counter that they use here is pretty nice because it shows the number of downloads and the number of views, which is pretty much what I want on my site.

I would still like to get this type of download counter happening for each of my skins. If anyone can tell me what I need to do, or where I can get a script for this I would GREATLY appreciate it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are actually tons of results if you google "download counter". Some of those results displayed are pretty random and actually have nothing to do with what I'm looking for. Some of the other results are what I'm looking for, but you have to buy..

I am looking for free, or free tutorials on how to set it up..
  • noddynoodle
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Haxxorland, Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you could do is when someone presses download, a new page opens, and autodownload starts. Then you can put a counter on this page and somehow make a script so the counter is also shown on the page where people click Download, but not make it count the hits on that page.. Get me? ;P I have no experience with such, so I just improvised an idea :)
  • lightdarkness
  • lightdarkness
  • Loc: Not here.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have php installed on your server? If so, it would be very easy to keep track of the hits/downloads with a simple txt or db counter.

I know that hotscripts has good scripts for download tracking. You can just find a simple counter for views :-)

Hope this helps!

LD

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts