Drop down menu question?

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am helping out a friend with his website/forum and he wants his homepage to have different themes that match his theme options in his forum. His current choices are SubSilver, Appalachia, Silver Xire and Igloo. Me and another guy adjusted his homepage to match the forum themes. So he has 4 homepages. His desire is to have one home page with a drop down menu to choose the different themes. When you click on the theme of your choice it will direct you to the home page that matches your theme selection. Can this be done and how would I go about doing it? Hopefully you all followed what I am saying. I tried doing it in Front Page but couldn't get it to work. So any help would be appreciated.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to look into a styleswitcher that allows the user to choose the theme (stylesheet) and then sets a cookie to keep track of which one they prefer. That way you would only need one home page and you could keep the theme information in different .css files.

This is quite straightforward with PHP:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/phpswitch/

It can be done with javascript if you don't have PHP:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

Both scripts depened on cookies, but the javascript code also depends on the user having javascript enabled as well. I would definitely prefer the php version as it is much simpler, and if your friend is running a forum I'm assuming it's an option.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt to try. Although I read through it and don't quite understand it, I'll do some copying and pasting and see what happens. Hopefully I can get it to work.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts