Editing PHPBB3... Mission IMPOSSIBLE

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I have done this before and I guess I can't do it again... Quite maddening and very frustrating... I can't find the CSS id's and classes that they use in any of the css files... theres a lot to test out so its a LONG FREAKING TIME SPENT SEARCHING :x :x :x :x :x :evil:

Any help out there? I want it to look like my site but it's proving to be really really hard and impossible... I have done it before but right now it seems really hard :x :x :x
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Id's and classes are you looking for? I am so confused right now lol.

I hate editting phpbb3.

But apparently you can do it through the ACP. I found a tutorial on adding a new style, but it includes steps on how to edit the stylesheet etc. perhaps it will be helpful, http://olympuswiki.naderman.de/Templating_Tutorial
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB3 is very easy to edit.

Just download the entire site to your local machine, and do an ID search in the CSS stylesheet folder.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

ace5p1d0r wrote:
phpBB3 is very easy to edit.

Just download the entire site to your local machine, and do an ID search in the CSS stylesheet folder.

ID search through the CSS stylesheet folder... how do I do that? Unless it involves opening and searching each CSS file... Which I do in Notepad and I get 0 Results on every stylesheet folder... Not cool.

Through the ACP it doesn't help either...
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What id's are you looking for? Cos thats a really weird problem.

Perhaps open the HTML file and go through and see which div each part uses and go from there?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for id "page-header" and class "headerbar" on a subsilver theme of PHPBB3
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are you trying to do? Cos I found "pageheader" and in the overall_header.tpl, the header is using these div's.

Code: [ Select ]
<div id="wrapheader">

<div id="logodesc">
        <table width="100%" cellspacing="0">
        <tr>
            <td><a href="{U_INDEX}">{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a></td>
            <td width="100%" align="center"><h1>{SITENAME}</h1><span class="gen">{SITE_DESCRIPTION}</span></td>
        </tr>
        </table>
  1. <div id="wrapheader">
  2.     <div id="logodesc">
  3.         <table width="100%" cellspacing="0">
  4.         <tr>
  5.             <td><a href="{U_INDEX}">{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a></td>
  6.             <td width="100%" align="center"><h1>{SITENAME}</h1><span class="gen">{SITE_DESCRIPTION}</span></td>
  7.         </tr>
  8.         </table>

Which are located, at lines 36, and 64 of the CSS file.

I am just trying to understand what you are trying to do.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aweseom! Great! you found the "pageheader" in one of the 14 CSS files. Can you tell me which one it is in? I'm trying to edit it by the way. The whole design.

It's PHPbb3 so it's not going to be *.tpl... it's *.html

My piece of code I'm working on is...

Code: [ Select ]
<div id="wrap">
    <a id="top" name="top" accesskey="t"></a>
    <div id="page-header">
        <div class="headerbar">
            <div class="inner"><span class="corners-top"><span></span></span>

<div id="site-description">
                <a href="{U_INDEX}" title="{L_INDEX}" id="logo">{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a>
                <h1>{SITENAME}</h1>
                <p>{SITE_DESCRIPTION}</p>
                <p style="display: none;"><a href="#start_here">{L_SKIP}</a></p>
            </div>
  1. <div id="wrap">
  2.     <a id="top" name="top" accesskey="t"></a>
  3.     <div id="page-header">
  4.         <div class="headerbar">
  5.             <div class="inner"><span class="corners-top"><span></span></span>
  6.             <div id="site-description">
  7.                 <a href="{U_INDEX}" title="{L_INDEX}" id="logo">{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a>
  8.                 <h1>{SITENAME}</h1>
  9.                 <p>{SITE_DESCRIPTION}</p>
  10.                 <p style="display: none;"><a href="#start_here">{L_SKIP}</a></p>
  11.             </div>

The same as in ptosilver PHPbb3 style...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I'm looking for id "page-header" and class "headerbar" on a subsilver theme of PHPBB3

Bogey wrote:
Aweseom! Great! you found the "pageheader" in one of the 14 CSS files. Can you tell me which one it is in? I'm trying to edit it by the way. The whole design.

Bogey, the subsilver theme for phpBB3 has only one CSS file associated with it, not fourteen. So if you're seeing 14 CSS files, you're in the wrong theme, or you need to greatly clarify what exactly you're doing here before you bust out with the [rather rude] sarcasm at Benat.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um yeah its only got one CSS file. LOL!

And btw tpl, html when associated with phpbb is the same in my opinion haha. You knew what I meant so all is good :D
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry, should have been more specific. If you are using Dreamweaver, you can search the source code of an entire folder with Ctrl + F.
  • kitcorsa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kitcorsa

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you are using firefox download and install the webmastr plug in and it will show you all the div ids and structure and information on screen as you look and mouse role over the site, then you just change the CSS to suit
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

kitcorsa wrote:
if you are using firefox download and install the webmastr plug in and it will show you all the div ids and structure and information on screen as you look and mouse role over the site, then you just change the CSS to suit

Yeah that'll be the easiest to find it ... Just a clarification ... it is the "Web Developer" add-on ... Just so you know ...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
kitcorsa wrote:

Yeah that'll be the easiest to find it ... Just a clarification ... it is the "Web Developer" add-on ... Just so you know ...

I suggest that tool for Firefox and the Developer Toolbar for IE as well. I'd say that both are "must have"s. :)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
righteous_trespasser wrote:
kitcorsa wrote:

I suggest that tool for Firefox and the Developer Toolbar for IE as well. I'd say that both are "must have"s. :)

There's one for IE? Must find it right now ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously, everyone here probably don't have any experience with PHPbb3... If so, why answer? I counted the CSS files... clearly there are 14 of them... Sorry at me being rude but it just flipped me out when Benat found the class but wouldn't say which CSS file it is.... Sorry about that once again... but there ARE in fact, 14 CSS files...

spork wrote:
Bogey, the subsilver theme for phpBB3 has only one CSS file associated with it, not fourteen. So if you're seeing 14 CSS files, you're in the wrong theme, or you need to greatly clarify what exactly you're doing here before you bust out with the [rather rude] sarcasm at Benat.

I'm in the right theme... prosilver of PHPBB3

http://www.freewebs.com/elitezenith/prosilver.JPG count them.

Sorry once again. Don't meant to be rude. Just that about everyone else takes me like I don't know what I'm talking about...

Download PHPbb3 and see for yourself.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's exactly what I did last night, and when I looked in the subsilver theme (since that's what you said you were modding), I found only one.
Bogey wrote:

This is most likely why Benat was confused as well.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: my bad... sorry about all that... I caused the confusion and got myself confused. Sorry about that... I meant prosilver... my bad...

Is there a tutorial anywhere which teaches/tells you how to edit a PHPbb3 theme such as a prosilver theme?

Thanks for all of your patience :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, now we're getting somewhere. ;)

I found headerbar in the following files:
colours.css, line 50
common.css, line 186

I didn't find page-header anywhere, which to me indicates that this theme simply doesn't have any styling associated with that ID. Remember, just because an element has an ID/class doesn't require it to have any CSS styles.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome thanks spork... I'm not going to be such a *bleep* next time if you know what I mean :lol:

Anything about tutorials?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't really had the chance to dab in phpBB3 yet, so I'm not too familiar with it or the tutorials out there.

The best thing would be to take some time to go through each CSS file and get a feel for what kind of styling information each contains before you start editing anything. It will make things easier when later on when you can start jumping through files comfortably while creating your theme.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah... I also might just put it all in one CSS file with divisive comments... maybe... maybe not...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose that depends on how complex your them will be. If you can get by with a small amount of CSS then using a single file won't hurt, but I'd personally recommend keeping things separate. Not only does it help keep things organized, but you're also not re-uploading a single, gigantic CSS file every time you update your live version.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah... I might just recode everything... CSS and the HTML overall... Thanks though... I'm getting inspired for recoding it all :)

Don't know why I haven't thought of that before :lol:
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try searching for just "pageheader" Bogey.
  • MrGamma
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Toronto, Burlington, Hamiltion, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB is the oldest and possibly the most reworked piece of code in existence... it's a frigging nightmare...

How do I know? Because I basically rewrote the entire thing... and whn I was done with it... I have a fraction of the amount of code left over...

It's a beast... your better off going with something that is workable...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you referring to phpBB2 or phpBB3?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know how your finding it so hard Bogey, I just editted a phpbb3 layout and it was easy :P.

Find a style thats easier to work with for your first style attempt. Acidtech is the one I did and it only has 3 CSS files.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or, if you REALLY want to become comfortable with CSS, venture where no man has ever gone before*: write your template from scratch.

* Note: people have gone there before
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts