Elance and the skills of their members

• PAPSTISY
  • PAPSTISY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been reading several posts and find everyone here that helps out really knows their stuff. So I thought I would register and see if you can help with a few question I currently have.

I have a great Idea and drafted a ruff HTML site . I know if implemented it would be a one of a kind profitable site. Anyway, I have decided to move forward. I currently am looking at designers that are members at Elance. Basicly I have little funds and found they could provide the best service or should I say best price.

However I have a couple of problems. I would like the participants to agree to the following 1. Paticipaints are required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
2. The idea I am presenting will require I own all rights to any code developement within the site. At no time can any company involved use the developements they originated for 3rd party use or resale.

3. They must beable to work with established programmers Pitersoft and SEO companies.

I have not yet listed, however I have talked to members of Elance and many do not like the terms.

What are your thoughts. Am I asking for to much? Do any of you use or work on Elance? Is their a better way of protecting your work?

What if I partnershiped? Then I would have to trust! It would be in their best interest.

You all seem like open people. Your help would be great!
PAPSTISY
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too savvy on Elance, but I've heard it's a pretty good resource and like you said a chance to find designer's who are competing for work and will give you good prices.

I can't comment on the members, but I can say this -- if those are your terms and that's what you want -- post it. If they don't like it, they don't have to bid on it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
2. The idea I am presenting will require I own all rights to any code developement within the site. At no time can any company involved use the developements they originated for 3rd party use or resale.

I find this similar to what is viewed to be one of the biggest business mistakes in history.

When IBM contracted Microsoft to create the Disk Operating System (now known as DOS) They decided not to pay the extra fee to purchase the exclusive rights to the code from Microsoft allowing Microsoft to resell DOS & essentually become the 500 LB gorilla they are today.

You may take into consideration paying a fee for the exclusive rights requirement of yours.

Basically if they don't like the terms, forget em & look for another. :wink:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW, I have no clue who Elance is. :scratchhead:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
BTW, I have no clue who Elance is. :scratchhead:

It's a pretty slick operation. People post projects they need done and members can bid on the project to try to get the job. A great idea really.

http://www.elance.com/c/static/main/this ... odule=home

BTW -- it's not free for members. Members pay a membership fee to be able to bid on projects.
  • VentsyV
  • Student
  • Student
  • VentsyV

Post 3+ Months Ago

why don't you try rentacoder.com ?
  • PAPSTISY
  • PAPSTISY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the insight!
What can anyone tell me about rentacoder.com? I checked out their site and it seemed they like to bid on parts of a site. and not a complete package.
ARe these people more company based or free lance?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aha, Thanks ATNO, similar to ... errr ok they changed their name...
http://www.guru.com/

Previously "creativeMoonlighter.com" It's been a long time since I checked them out, They have gotten rather big :shock:

Their slogan,
"The worlds largest marketplace for freelance talent"

They seem to have taken on a more professional approach to things, they used to have an artsy appearance/feel.

Verisign logo at the bottom, More areas of expertise than I can shake a stick at, you should deffinately check this place out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts