embeded fonts

• DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

anyone know if embeded fonts in webpages can be saved or exported out to ttf???
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you mean like weft?
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

weft???? i saw in another thread someone talking about the ability to embed a font into a webpage, so even if the user doesnt have that font installed on their system they can still view the font. i was wondering if there was any way to get the actual font file from that page somewhere ????
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you know the name of the font, just do a quick Google search for it. Many fonts are free, howver some you may have to purchase. Example, Helvetica used to be free, but now you have to buy it.

For example if you needed the Georgia font, type: georgia + font into Google

The second result will lead you here for a free download:
http://simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/georgia.html
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx, yeah im very aware about fonts but i was wondering if it was technically possible to extract the font from the page.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

the actual font is not stored on the page. So if you don't have that font you won't see it, unless something like weft is used. I am not certain if the font would be stored in the page if weft is used
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd be interested in an experiment. Anyone have a page where weft is used to embed a font?
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

not sure what weft is,, but if a font is being displayed in a browser in selectable text, wouldnt it have to be running off the system somewhere? surely it isnt run from the server. cache maybe???
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i would assume that it would be stored somewhere in the pages then, your probably right
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

DR01D,

Some reading here should give you some understanding of weft

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web ... efault.htm
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx dudes

Quote:
The page links to a number of font objects that are downloaded, cached, temporarily and privately installed and then used to render the text on the page.

so i guess its probably encripted and whatever else :D
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wouldn't think that it is encrypted

here is the thing...I looked at that site for a little bit and I noticed that the fonts are stored on the server as a .eot file. and subsequently this is embeded within the html

Code: [ Select ]
@font-face { font-family: Brush Script; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; src: url(http://www.blahblah/sans-seriff.eot); }

i suppose that is CSS, although i have never seen '@' used. maybe is the same as '.'

so then maybe it could also be embedded in a .css file then called from the html.

I mean you could get the font if you where determined.

btw, If you really want the font why don't you just email the webmaster and ask him what font it is and downoad it from somewhere? If it is a font he personally created I am not sure that you could publish it anywhere legally without permission. But I am not too keen on font copyrights
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm. @ symbol is interesting. ie only maybe???? don't know

haha i dont have a problem paying for my fonts.

just thought it was interesting and wondered how it was done, and wondered why a commercial typehouse would risk rendering their fonts on the web if there was a way of people getting them.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

The @ symbol is used for media selectors - never seen it used for anything else though. Either IE only or a typo! Maybe IE ignores the @ so it makes no difference, but mozilla sees it as invalid so it is hidden from mozilla?

You do have to have copyright for the font to embed it. in addition:
Quote:
When you embed a font, you can specify the exact Web pages on which it will work. It won't work on any other pages.

In addition if the typehouse wants to give a sample they can just include the specific letters in the sample - nothing more nothing less.

ok having said that I just found this:
Quote:
There's word of security flaws with this format. Some developers have been able to take an .eot file and actually install the complete font on their systems — which isn't supposed to be possible. Oops. Microsoft's technology is inherently less secure because actual font files are created and transferred.

good ole Microsoft security flaws.

There is also another format you can use, trueDoc, which doesn't have that security flaw, and also works on netscape, however the user has to install a plugin for it to work on IE.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

@font-face:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-webfonts-20020802/#font-descriptions
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the whole thing is pretty interesting, but I am sure there arent a whole hell of a lot of font pirates out there, but I would also probably be suprised.

Yeah the @ is non mozilla compliant

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts