enable file downloads

• adidas1200
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to be able to have people visiting my site download my DJ sets. I want to have a button that you press and it automatically prompt the user that a file is or will be downloaded. I didn't see anything in the tutorials that explained how to do this (or I may have over looked it).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-ryan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just create a link directly to it. Type an optional note next to it saying that if they want to download the file directly to their browser right click the link and choose "Save target as" and save it to their computer.

Some files will automatically start running by themselves based on what file-types the users' browser's capabilities are. On my website, I offer dj mix mp3 downloads. On my computer, the mp3s start automatically unless I choose "save target as"

I'm not sure if there is a definite way to force users to download rather than auto-play kicking in. If anybody knows, I'd be interested in hearing about it too.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't want a program to auto-load the downloads, change the MIME type on the server to application/octet-stream

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts