Is an ENTERING page bad?

• me
  • Born
  • Born
  • me

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heya when people go to my website the first thing they come to is a page with the name of my webpage, a random picture, a hit counter, and an enter button which takes them to the rest of my site. Is this a bad thing to have? I would suspect it would interupt the flow of the website..is this true or does it help give character?

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/hc200/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dreamer7
  • Student
  • Student
  • dreamer7
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The answer to that could be yes or no lol. The thing is that if you want listed on some search engines they use "spiders" that search for content on pages and if you have very little content on that page they don't list it but im not entirely sure on that but as your site is on a free hosting site anyway it shouldn't matter lol until you get an actual domain it shouldn't matter
d7
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello "Me"

In my experience, kinda like what dreamer7 said is that webrobots may have a harder time... but I guess in theory, the robot would just follow the "enter" link to the main page, I can see one problem with that and that maybe down the line you are looking for excellent placement on a Search engine, you run the risk of the "entry page" being the first one indexed and that may throw a few potential visitors off.

In my opinion, and Entry page annoys me. It has got to be really really good "flash entry page or some sort of cool graphics" to keep me interested. I seem to get really emotional when I am surfing the web, and an entry page is one of those things that gets me mad sometimes... I think to myself... "hmmm i wonder what they are hiding?" "what are they hiding from me? " then if the entry page is not really impressive, I have a little tick from my Dial Up internet access days, and I click " back " and surf onto something else.

In your site, I visited, While the "enter page" was interesting and I was wondering what was behind it, if I had been looking for something specific (for example a Script, or I wanted to learn about HTML) I would just hit back and check the next site down the line in the search engine.

I hope this helps, I am not very technical myself, but I like to comment on websites as if I was a potential visitor.

RBeau
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

splash pages are meant to slow the surfer down and make sure they
have the proper hardware and software to view the site the way it was
meant to be seen. I use them on certain types of sites, and personally
I like them and like to use them to spark some anticipation in the
visitor. They have to be done right tho. It takes skill to make a good
and effective splash page.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the other hand, just as Unflux says, they slow the surfer down.

In some cases this can be very bad. When trying to sell something usually the less pages you make the visitor go thru, the higher your sale/ad revenues will be. I only make splash pages if absolutely necessary, and only if I do not think it will disrupt the revenue flow.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i actually agree with that. and pretty much what I'm saying. It goes
wher it's deserved, and not just because.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone told me as long as they load fast and look cool they are ok.
Here is mine, I was just playing around with tweens in Flash. I made everything (even the music, not those cool 3d buttons tho at the begining).

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/bro/intro.html

Brandon
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats pretty good b_heyer, but at the end of your flash intro it goes to a 404 page not found.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good! It means someone hasn't stolen my web address yet ;)

Actually I never got around to making the page...hehehe, you'll find I will have alot of unfinished projects...

Like this one for example:

http://x5d.acgcny.com

Maybe one day I will finish them all...probably not :roll:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts