Firefox and css support

• smilinjackhappy
  • smilinjackhappy
  • Loc: pacific beach, ca

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I like this browser...firefox...I think I like it a lot.

What css does it not support?

And, hey, anyone got an address for a cheat sheet or quick rundown on what the LATEST browsers do NOT support in css, would be...well...that would be just great:)

thanx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mozilla/Firefox is the industrial standard when it comes to CSS. Basically you can say that the way CSS is rendered in Firefox is the way W3C indended it to. Unlike most other browsers it supports quite a lot CSS3 too.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

monoheinz wrote:
Mozilla/Firefox is the industrial standard when it comes to CSS. Basically you can say that the way CSS is rendered in Firefox is the way W3C indended it to. Unlike most other browsers it supports quite a lot CSS3 too.

No it's not. I find Opera to be far more literal in regards to W3C standards.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. While the Gecko rendering engine is better than IE's, Opera has targeted the standards the most.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm...
http://www.svendtofte.com/code/opera_open_the_web//

I think you may have to reiterate your stances...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope. Sorry, but I'm not going to alter my stance. I've read Mr. Tofte's opinions previously and I think he makes some damn good points and observations. However, as he points out on his site "(sadly, far too few people test in Opera)". Well, in fact, I test with Opera, Mozilla and IE every time, as I have done for years.

I'm sure the view from the band wagon is nice, but I prefer to think for myself.

Let's look at a very good example of IE and Mozilla failing to adhere to the almighty standard:
Code: [ Select ]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
</head>

<body>
<table height="100%" border="1">
<tr>
    <td>Some Content</td></tr></table></body></html>
  1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
  2. <html>
  3. <head>
  4. <title></title>
  5. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  6. </head>
  7. <body>
  8. <table height="100%" border="1">
  9. <tr>
  10.     <td>Some Content</td></tr></table></body></html>

Which user agent renders this correctly? Not Mozilla and not IE. Opera does. Why? Because "height" is not a valid attribute of the TABLE element in the HTML 4.01 standard.

Let's look at something they all do incorrectly:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title></title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<style>
#area{width:200px;height:300px;overflow:auto;background:#CFDDE8;}
#area h1{font-size:15pt;}
#area p{margin:0 0 5px 0;font-size:11pt;}
#area a{display:block;padding:3px 4px 4px 4px;border-bottom:1px solid #9ABAE1;text-decoration:none;color:#000;}
#area a:hover{color:#444;text-decoration:none;background:#C1D3E1;}</style></head>

<body>
<div id="area">
        <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
        <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
        <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a></div></body></html>
  1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
  2. <html>
  3. <head>
  4. <title></title>
  5. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  6. <style>
  7. #area{width:200px;height:300px;overflow:auto;background:#CFDDE8;}
  8. #area h1{font-size:15pt;}
  9. #area p{margin:0 0 5px 0;font-size:11pt;}
  10. #area a{display:block;padding:3px 4px 4px 4px;border-bottom:1px solid #9ABAE1;text-decoration:none;color:#000;}
  11. #area a:hover{color:#444;text-decoration:none;background:#C1D3E1;}</style></head>
  12. <body>
  13. <div id="area">
  14.         <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
  15.         <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
  16.         <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
  17.         <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a>
  18.         <a href="#"><h1>Title</h1><p>Ma quande lingues coalesce, li grammatica del resultant lingue es plu simplic e regulari quam ti del coalescent lingues.</p></a></div></body></html>

I don't believe it standard conformant to nest block-level elements in an ANCHOR element. Yet ALL of the browsers in question render this the same.

As I mentioned before, I test EVERYTHING in all browsers. I don't rely on articles of limited scope and instance. I rely on testing and the standard itself as my reference. In my experience, which spans 8 years, Opera has routinely preformed more accurately according to my reading of the standards themselves.

I am willing to accept the suggestion that the newest versions of Opera may have adopted what some might see as dubious implementations, but until I see these things for myself, repeatedly, I will not assume my stance is incorrect based on terribly limited information.

Further, I don't champion any browser. I've not invested myself in such self-righteousness. I don't believe in standards as the final word or law. I consider standards to be a baseline, a starting point. The W3C standards are not always sensible, in my view. For example, the bizzare nature of the box model.

The idea of standards is hardly a new one. I know from my experience with engineering and architecture, that standards are adhered to when practical. However, when the need arises, they can be veered from. For instance, a mechanical engineer will always try to use a standard part, like a bolt, first. However, they will sometimes have to fabricate a non-standard bolt.

Furthermore, I do not share in the hatred of IE, or Microsoft. I see many very good, and very legitimate, innovations coming from IE. For instance:
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(startColorStr='#FFFFFF', endColorStr='#CCCCCC', gradientType='1');

What a great idea this is. If this was adopted into the standard, it would all but completely supplant the need for tiling GIFs to create simple gradient backgrounds. I sincerely doubt this, or anything like it, will be adopted by the standard anytime soon because of the irrational mentality of zealots (to use a word that Mr. Tofte seems to have an affinity for)

Lastly, Opera had tabbed browsing first. So there. I've said my peace.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also test everything in all browsers digital, but as you may have not noticed, that review is for the next release of Opera. :)
  • jzed
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually test in IE and mozilla. I interned for short time also and the company felt that it was a little unnecessary to test in Opera.

but then again, all their users were IE users b/c the computers they used were given to them by the company.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
I also test everything in all browsers digital, but as you may have not noticed, that review is for the next release of Opera. :)

LOL owned!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the hit counter at the bottem of that page.
Quote:
8831 people suckered so far
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Furthermore, I do not share in the hatred of IE, or Microsoft. I see many very good, and very legitimate, innovations coming from IE. For instance:
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(startColorStr='#FFFFFF', endColorStr='#CCCCCC', gradientType='1');

What a great idea this is. If this was adopted into the standard, it would all but completely supplant the need for tiling GIFs to create simple gradient backgrounds. I sincerely doubt this, or anything like it, will be adopted by the standard anytime soon because of the irrational mentality of zealots (to use a word that Mr. Tofte seems to have an affinity for)

It's not irrational mentality; it's their superior sense of style: gradients are just ugly. ;-)
  • smilinjackhappy
  • smilinjackhappy
  • Loc: pacific beach, ca

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I haven't been doing much designing over the past year, but when I was, "we" designed for IE. Why? The information available at the time indicated that a VAST majority of users (80%) used IE.

Shame on us, I know. Shame on the unwashed masses who prefer "mediocrity"...

I truly feel firefox to be a superior browser to IE, in any event, and have yet to try out opera for myself. Sounds like me and many others may be missing out.

(insert witticism here)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts