firefox ok ie not grrr

• will2b
  • Born
  • Born
  • will2b

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am totally new here and to website authoring. I have created a site for my Architecture company using a free template which has been chopped and changed over several months as I gradually get to grips with html/css. I thought it was ready, cleaned, validated, compressed etc.. following all the advice I could find. In my Firefox browser it looks as I intended but when viewed in ie7 (the first two pages are fine) the left margin on the news, and subsequent pages, is thrown out of line.

Can someone please help me I have exhausted all other avenues.

Thankyou

amarchitects dot net

ps.
As an aside I have also just noticed that the page transitions are a lot smoother in ie than firefox, is this normal or perhaps just something to do with my browser settings (I have tinkered with the about:config file in the past)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cross-browser compatibility is a big issue with designers. You'll need to investigate and implement the !important CSS flag and a few other IE-specific hacks where needed to get your page the same across the board. IE has it's own definition of compliance, so sites rarely work in both from just one CSS attempt. Good luck!
  • will2b
  • Born
  • Born
  • will2b

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats just stupid!

Surely the browser should work for the Code.

Whats the CSS flag?
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

will2b wrote:
Thats just stupid!

Whats the CSS flag?

First IE is stupid, the world most commen used browser is the worst its just bad luck.
The !important goes at the end of a any line but before the ; of css that needs to be the overiding code such as
Code: [ Select ]
float:left !important;

You may want to try and look at the clear:both; css tag
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also of interest to you will probably be Conditional Comments: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Conditional Comments allow you to apply code directly to specified versions of internet explorer (and only IE). I find this incredibly helpful considering IE is usually the only browser that gives me difficulty, though many others will frown upon this method as it's not necessarily the "cleanest" way of doing things.
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggets you to create style.css for Ie6 Ie7 Ie8 and others if you want keep sure that all is working fine with all browsers....

I have done that job for my web and I actually prepared 3 style.css files in order to correct the Ie mistakes.

You can use the different styles using conditional comments, the browser will call its relative css file.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

will2b wrote:
Thats just stupid!

Yes, or at least it certainly seems that way when you are programming for it.

However, it is not a unique or even uncommon problem in computer programming generally. "Standards" are things that are usually set by a third party, eg. the ISO, or in this case the W3C. That 3rd party may or (in this case) may not maintain a "reference implementation", which would amount to a browser which demonstrates standards compliance.

Of course, other groups in the same industry (people who make web browsers) will be involved, to a greater or lesser extent, in cooperating with creating and maintaining the standard. Eg, there is a binding review board with representatives from a number of different and competing companies. This way, it is more likely to be accepted and properly implemented by all concerned, so in theory, everyone wins.

Or, as Microsoft often does, they may choose to not be involved, and attempt to leverage their market share to discredit the standard. This could win them more market share: if most people use an MS product, and MS does not cooperate wrt to industry standards, whatever MS does will become the defacto norm, and most programmers will end up trying to satisfy the "defiant bully" rather than the rest of the gang. This strategy obviously can backfire to a certain extent; IE 6 and 7 caused lost market share from IE 5, I believe.

So, IE 7 and 8 are better, but there is still a rift there. Perhaps this is inevitable in a situation where two groups of people will want to try and do things two different ways. From an evolutionary perspective, that's good, there needs to be divergence. But it also leads to some severe inefficiencies, as evolution does.

Here's my preferred method for dealing with IE6:

http://206.251.36.107/IE6.htm

This is not very good tho, since some very large institutions such as schools and public library systems may still be using browsers from 5 or 6 years ago. On the other hand, sometimes it is just regular people unaware of the issue -- more than once I've had someone thank me for that message.
  • addaminsane
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ie8 is alot better than it used to be but still quite a bit inferior to firefox
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
First IE is stupid

No, just needs handling differently. It was a life saver for me when FF displayed crazy.

A lot of people use Browsercam:

http://www.browsercam.com/Default2.aspx

S
  • ArtphotoasiA
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for Opera if you want to have alternative to FF..... abandon IE please, they had their chance... and ruined web evolution... looks like a dinosaur today.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

ArtphotoasiA wrote:
Go for Opera if you want to have alternative to FF..... abandon IE please, they had their chance... and ruined web evolution... looks like a dinosaur today.

Personal choice and deciding what to support via code are two different topics. Like IE or not, it still demands a large enough majority that it shouldn't just be ignored IMO. We all know it sucks, but dealing with said suck is part of the job sometimes.
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

will2b wrote:
Thats just stupid!

Whats the CSS flag?

just amazing to see people be so naive....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts