firefox problem with javascript scrolling

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

peace.

it's been a minute since i've been on here, but I NEED HELP!
for the first time, i'm working on a site where the client insists on using a custom scrollbar... so, i ended up using jScrollPane, by Kevin Luck (it's pretty brilliant - if javascript's disabled, it just goes back to using default scrollers...), built on the jQuery library...

at any rate, it works just fine in every browser i've tested (IE7, IE6, Opera, even Swift, the WebKit browser for PCs - all on a windows machine) except for Firefox...

In firefox, for some reason, the nested list (it's red) ends up getting all wonky when using the javascript-enabled scroller. if i disable javascript, it goes back to normal, but i want it to work!

url: http://www.slideluckpotshow.com/newsite/newyork

does anyone have a clue why firefox is behaving differently? i'm sure it's some mistake i've made (been building this site at a breakneck pace and haven't had time to clean things up all that much)... i'd love a little help from my friends...

thanks in advance!

oh, i might have put this in the wrong place...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly do you mean by "wonky?" As far as I can see, it looks exactly the same in Firefox (2.0.0.12) as it does in IE 7 (7.0.5730.13).
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks fine in FF2 for me aswell.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. thanks for checking it out.

2. sorry for being so vague.

3. specifically what i'm seeing is that, particularly in the sections where there is a visible nested list, when i scroll up and down, the nested list (and only the nested list - the top-level list behaves fine) jumps outside of the containing list (ie, it extends to the bottom or above the top of the page)...

if you guys aren't seeing this, well... that's great! thanks for taking a look.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you are seeing roarmeow. I haven't looked at any code, but you aren't daft. The problem is genuinely there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your unordered list. I pasted the list of cities into HTMLkit and ran HTMLTidy on it and it came up with a missing </ul>. I couldn't find where it is missing but that might be enough to throw FF off.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just ran the W3 Validator and I get a result of 71 errors ... it could also be something in there ... here's the link ... and 3 css errors ... I am not saying that these are causing the errors, but it might just be ... ??
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, logically thinking, it breaks in firefox at the beginning of the SPLS X in the New York list. The problem must be right there. I didn't get a chance to look at the style for the class/id you are using there, but perhaps a problem in the z-index?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
<li class="parent item81"><a href="#"><span>SLPS X</span></a>

maybe because there's a space in the class defenition ... ? as I recall that isn't allowed ... ??

edit: I just took out the link and replaced it with a # to make it easier to read ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

But no, nevermind ... that doesn't make sense either ... because the other ones also have spaces and they don't break the whole thing ...
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
you aren't daft.

whew! i wasn't sure there.

and, again, much appreciations to everyone looking into this.

= this is the only thing really relating to the problem =

regarding where the list "breaks", so to speak, it happens at the first visible nested list within that menu... i think i had said this before, but the bit that freaks out and breaks out of the bounds of the scrolling area (set by the topmost unordered list) is the first visible nested list.

further, this problem does not present itself if i disable javascript or remove the custom scroller script from the piece...

==

re: the other stuff...
as i said, i'm doing this under ridiculous time constraints and using some legacy code from the previous site for this organization... so, apologies for having to dig through a bunch of sloppy code.

at any rate, i moved their old javascript from the previous site out to an external file and it's now down to 7 errors... all 7 of which are related to just some ways joomla's handling links... none of which relate to the list which is causing the problem.

also, re: the spaces in the selectors... that was a red flag for me, too, but it never set off any validation errors, so i figured that, perhaps it's fine... in fact, i found that the spaces were separating multiple selectors, of which i could use any one to present that item... interesting... didn't really know that was possible.

again...

thanks!!!
  • kbergmann
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see it now ... that is odd ...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

An unrelated side-note, you have Potshow spelled incorrectly in your New York link

http://www.slideluckpotshow.com/newsite/newyork

Didn't believe that would be something you'd want to overlook
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
An unrelated side-note, you have Potshow spelled incorrectly in your New York link

proof, once again, that i may really be daft.

actually, i haven't authored a lick of content for this, but i'll go in and fix it... i may have to check with the SLPS staff first, though... as it is a potluck event, the pothsow may, in fact, be a medicated female pig (apothecary-sow) and i wouldn't want to be the one to misinform the public about the offerings at this event.

cheers!

edit: i just found that, once i get it to behave poorly, if i grab the window, move it off screen and pull it back on, it looks the way it's supposed to... maybe that's a clue... maybe there's no answer. anyways... thanks again to everyone who did look into this...

and happy friday.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

roarmeow wrote:
peace.

it's been a minute since i've been on here, but I NEED HELP!
for the first time, i'm working on a site where the client insists on using a custom scrollbar... so, i ended up using jScrollPane, by Kevin Luck (it's pretty brilliant - if javascript's disabled, it just goes back to using default scrollers...), built on the jQuery library...

at any rate, it works just fine in every browser i've tested (IE7, IE6, Opera, even Swift, the WebKit browser for PCs - all on a windows machine) except for Firefox...

In firefox, for some reason, the nested list (it's red) ends up getting all wonky when using the javascript-enabled scroller. if i disable javascript, it goes back to normal, but i want it to work!

url: http://www.slideluckpotshow.com/newsite/newyork

does anyone have a clue why firefox is behaving differently? i'm sure it's some mistake i've made (been building this site at a breakneck pace and haven't had time to clean things up all that much)... i'd love a little help from my friends...

thanks in advance!

oh, i might have put this in the wrong place...

Hello...
Check out for any JavaScript-Conflict... You have so many JavaScript codes in the page!

Snooper.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS Code: [ Select ]
   body {scrollbar-3dlight-color:;
            scrollbar-arrow-color:;
            scrollbar-track-color: ;
            scrollbar-darkshadow-color:;
            scrollbar-face-color:;
            scrollbar-highlight-color:;
            scrollbar-shadow-color:}

1.    body {scrollbar-3dlight-color:;
  2.             scrollbar-arrow-color:;
  3.             scrollbar-track-color: ;
  4.             scrollbar-darkshadow-color:;
  5.             scrollbar-face-color:;
  6.             scrollbar-highlight-color:;
  7.             scrollbar-shadow-color:}

Why not use CSS for that? Although I heard that it may not work in some browsers... maybe use it for Firefox and the Javascript for other browsers?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts