First client, what do I charge?

• cicipie
  • Born
  • Born
  • cicipie
  • Loc: Martinsburg, Wv

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I'm working with my first client (I know him personally and he's a pain in the butt as a client, I have to ask him 16 times for things) he runs his own business and I'm making him a simple site with three pages, the hardest thing about it is the email forms I have to make. I just don't know what I should charge him since it's my first site. Any suggestions would be nice. I'm still in highschool, btw.
Thanks, cicipie.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this is your first project and you really want to have some experience behind you I probably wouldn't charge too much. Charge enough though that you feel it is worth your time. If you feel like you are getting screwed over then you probably aren't charging enough.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

cicipie wrote:
my first client (I know him personally and he's a pain in the butt as a client)

Another thing you might want to consider is that these kinds of situations very rarely work out well for either side.
  • cicipie
  • Born
  • Born
  • cicipie
  • Loc: Martinsburg, Wv

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a bit like your husband/wife etc teaching you to drive.......it never works....same with 'favors' for friends for whateva.

S

:mrgreen:
  • CherrySalvatore
  • Born
  • Born
  • CherrySalvatore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try your best, and be yourself.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

A) Decide what you charge per hour.
B) Break down the features of the site into an itemized list.
C) Make an estimate of how many hours/days each item will take you to build out.
D) Multiply your estimated hours by 1.5 (buffer zone. If the client is a pain, you may want to go higher for the buffer)
C) Multiply total estimated hours by your hourly rate.

You don't necessarily have to charge by the hour. You can be a flat-rate freelancer. But you still want to be charging something appropriate for the amount of time you'll spend on the project.

As far as not working with someone you know personally, I've never had too much of a problem with it. As long as you make it clear through your demeanor that business time comes with business candor. When you are talking business with him, treat those conversations as though he is no different than any other client.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my early days i just charged a standard working fee/h like 20-25 per hour + expanses like transport costs. Then moved up to 30 then 40 per hour with more XP.

The more you know the more your worth and if you can get the job done in 5 hours then charge 10 and take a nap if your working from home, just as long as quality is good.
  • heike
  • Born
  • Born
  • heike

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done some of my early works for free.
Worth it in the long run, as there was no pressure from the client's side and I could have focused purely on developing the site.
  • hanhtrinhxanh20
  • Born
  • Born
  • hanhtrinhxanh20
  • Loc: Dai Vi, Tien Du 220000, Viet Nam

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can ask him to cooperate in your business, it is good choice ie place a banner ad on his website ...
  • Legas
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Explore themed blogs, in this sense, they can be very helpful to you!
  • Paralabs
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to use all their expertise with the customer, because it affects your reputation.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts