First time templater

• rhwimmers
  • Born
  • Born
  • rhwimmers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have managed and maintained a few joomla sites, and recently bought one off this site and installed from scratch for the first time. Things went ok, only a few mishaps (directions say I can copy folder via FTP to install template - which I DID, but then had tons of errors so ended up doing it via the install from path (couldn't install from the .zip file as instructions also said).
So I have some basic, probably general questions:
1. I had to manually create a ton of the modules in the instructions, but advertisement and popular were to modules that were not a "type" I could choose when doing a new module - guessing they are just named something else in joomla 1.5?
2. What is the best way to go about editing for custom logos etc? I found the joomla.psd file which looks like its the front page with about 200 layers, but then in the /theme/images folder there are a bunch of jpgs, which are actually what the index.php references... So do most of you just edit the "main" psd file and then save just the layers you want as a jpg then upload those? Seems like "logo.jpg" should also have a "logo.psd" where I can just edit them one at a time, instead of one huge psd file?
3. In template 22497 (designs/joomla_templates/joomla_1.5/template_number/22497/) - all of the main links I click - I can set them to pull up an article, which then pulls up the article but that "welcome" screen still shows up on every screen, how would I change that so the link just pulls up the article, and the "welcome" paragraph doesn't show up on every link I click?

That's all for now!
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am looking more into this for you, but for question #2 the entire template is usually sliced in one large .psd file. If you need to change any text in graphics such as the logo, you would change it there and then when saving for the web you would simply select the sliced part you changed. So for instance if you changed the logo portion you could select the slices for the logo and then save those out as the logo.jpg file that you can upload and overwrite. On the save for web screen you will see a dialog like this at the bottom where you would select that you only want to save the selected slices. That way you don't have to save every single slice in the file.

Attachments:
slices.jpg

You can also watch a video tutorial here:

examples/adobe_slices/How_to_save_for_web.swf
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For question #3 the welcome is a custom html module. You can specify the page where the module would be displayed in the

Admin Panel ->Extensions ->Modules ->Welcome

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts