Flash Vs. Javascript Slideshows and Animations

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently submitted a site I created ( http://www.bodybalanceliving.com ) on another board for critique. One of the comments I kept hearing was that the site looked "dated". And I guess I can't argue with that after looking at more sites. But what one person said was that I could have used javascript instead of the Flash elements. What do you guys think? Is javascript a better way to go? I did a little research and I keep seeing stuff about javascript not working across browsers. Then I found this site http://etatdesieges.com/en , which I really like and it looks like they are using java for the middle animation. I only opened it in IE7. Not sure if it works across other browsers. But what I really want to know is, if this is a better solution and what problems can I encounter. What stinks is I really like Flash and I've been trying to learn more and don't want to switch gears just yet. Javascript seems so scary!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Javascript is supported by many major browser unless the visitors themselves turn off the Javascript. By default, Javascript is turned on, thus making over 70-80% surfers (I'm guessing here :) ) have their Javascript turned on.

One way to get over people who don't have their Javascript turned on is to replace the image (let's say the like in http://etatdesieges.com ) with a static image using noscript code.

Using NOSCRIPT, it is possible to achieve a series of images fading in and out if the visitor have their Javascript turned on, and if they have it turned off, they will see single static image instead.

Click here to learn more about NOSCRIPT tag and how to use it.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say for something like a slideshow its all personal preference. IMO Flash can deal with images and transitions a little better because it uses compiled code instead of trying to get the browser to run something to render content. Javascript really is compatible with almost all browsers, BUT it takes a lot of work to make sure every browser displays things the exact same way. With Flash you get pretty much the same thing all the time.

Bottom line is there are always about 50 ways to do something. I say pick the one that works best for your need and ignore other peoples personal preference...
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
I'd say for something like a slideshow its all personal preference. IMO Flash can deal with images and transitions a little better because it uses compiled code instead of trying to get the browser to run something to render content. Javascript really is compatible with almost all browsers, BUT it takes a lot of work to make sure every browser displays things the exact same way. With Flash you get pretty much the same thing all the time.

Bottom line is there are always about 50 ways to do something. I say pick the one that works best for your need and ignore other peoples personal preference...

Thanks! And when are you going to be done napping?! LOL
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
Haha, Soon I promise :lol: I'm teaching a class starting at the end of next week so its my goal to get everything done by then
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
zaiah wrote:
Haha, Soon I promise :lol: I'm teaching a class starting at the end of next week so its my goal to get everything done by then

what are you teaching?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
what are you teaching?

Well the class is called Motion Graphics I but its really a combo of Interactive/Animation using Flash (sort of a program level overview with concepts mixed in for good measure) at The Miami Ad School.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
The Miami Ad School.

Cool site!

Again, bottom line is go with what you think that you are comfortable with. If you have been doing Flash for quite sometime, you might want to stick with flash rather than learning a new language from scratch. just my 2 cents :)
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

xfahmix wrote:
graphixboy wrote:
The Miami Ad School.

Cool site!

Again, bottom line is go with what you think that you are comfortable with. If you have been doing Flash for quite sometime, you might want to stick with flash rather than learning a new language from scratch. just my 2 cents :)

LOL! My little cousin was asking me about this school. We were just in Orlando for holiday. Small world.

Well to be honest, by trade I am an architectural/structural drafter. So real strengths are with Autocad and Microstation. But I am just bored, because I'm not allowed to use an creativity in my daily job. So I thought as a hobby I'd try my hand at some web design. So I'm far from an expert with Flash. Just enough to be dangerous at best. But I hear what you are saying. I think I will stick with Flash and try my hand at that once I really have it down. So probably by the time I'm ready, something new will be out :)
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

zaiah wrote:
So probably by the time I'm ready, something new will be out :)

I doubt that because right now in term of animation for web Flash is quite strong in a long run esp. with the strength of their Action Script and better integration with XML, PHP and other programming language. Even the search engine bots/spiders also will improve by time and it is possible one day the index bots will be able to index text embedded in Flash. who knows :D
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

When using Flash, we'd like to satisfy each of these objectives:

1. Clean design.

2. Search Engine Optimization.

3. Accessibility for a wide variety of browsers, including screen readers and mobile phones.

4. Code validation and standards compliance.

5. Correct functionality with IE.

Good for flash is we can now SEO flash...
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyche wrote:

3. Accessibility for a wide variety of browsers, including screen readers and mobile phones.

Funny you say this. I tried to look up my site on my phone and I could only get the menu! Then I went to the same site on my friends I-phone and I got the entire page, except the Flash components.

Can someone shed some light on the best ways to make your site accessible thru mobile phones? The site is done in CSS if that helps with an answer. Thanks
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the easy answer is that the iPhone has a full high end web browser built on webkit (same thing that runs apples safari) However, as of right now Apple has refused to allow the Flash player to install on the iPhone so you'll get a pretty good html representation and even javascript but no Flash.

As for the rest of the mobil phones out there... almost all of them use their own crazy browser. I've found that if you need a mobile phone page you should test for the usual browsers (IE, Mozilla, Webkit, Etc) and if the user agent doesn't fit one of those send it to a very dumbed down version of your site. (Flash is out completely in almost all cases). Regular html and minimal css are usually a best bet. As mobile web browsing becomes more of a selling point it the browsers will improve but for now most of them aren't great and its unlikely that you'll get the kind of control your used to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts