Flat web design..trendy or not?

• Qqueen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Qqueen
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
I want your opinion regarding a flat web design/layout. I am still new to web design but i really don't see why this particular design is so trendy at the moment. Is there anything am missing out on? Please share some of the advantages of this kind of design.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you provide examples of what you're talking about?
  • Kevin-Johnson
  • Kevin-Johnson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Today Flat website design is one of the trending pattern due to user friendly navigation and It look beautiful and clear.
  • leonpot
  • leonpot

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Can you provide examples of what you're talking about?

I think he ment something like the new design of Google etc...

I think it's a personal issue, you like it or you don't like it... i'm kinda the oldskool "Boxed" style, but i like to combine it with the flat design looks... so it's all about the taste of the designer :)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well to answer your question, from a strictly visual standpoint, yes its a fad. The style is usually characterized by the use of blocks of solid color, large thin typography and very little adornment. iOS 7 and Windows Metro are prefect examples of the style.

Over time the visual style may change a bit but I think the underlying interaction concepts are going to exist for a while. Flat is a stylistic response to Skeuomorphism (giving things depth, shadow, physicality in an interface) in the same way that Cubism was a response to Realism in art. Basically people realized that a message or understanding of the subject could be conveyed without the image having to look exactly like it does in real life. In other words iOS's Game Center doesn't need to look like a table covered in green felt for people to understand that it has leaderboards, etc. This concept has been accelerated in the interactive world because the competency of users has changed from people who never used a computer to those who have grown up using one. The current generation of users has much less need of visual hand holding hence the move toward a "flat" design.

Be careful going too far into flat design though since it poses very real usability issues. Microsoft's Metro in particular has been heavily criticized for having a lot of clickable elements that don't look actionable and instead appear to be a headline or general information.
  • Davidmiller999
  • Born
  • Born
  • Davidmiller999

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I think you should search in Internet about design.
In my opinion flat design is good because most people like flat design compare to trendy.
you can watch this site "webranx" for Web Design example.
  • Wschmit2
  • Wschmit2

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your are looking for layouts and templates for any of the professional website design styles then I think you must really search up on the web and most probably the best relevant to web application development.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts