Form Confirmation Data

• jasbur
  • Born
  • Born
  • jasbur

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a question about form confirmation pages. I have always used Frontpage with the server extensions. That made confirmation pages easy, I just had to add “confirmation fields” to the success page to show the data that the user entered. Lets face it, Frontpage is outdated and limited – so I’m trying to move away from it. My question – How do I get the form confirmation pages to show the data on a confirmation page? Is there an easy way to just make changes to my old Frontpage page?

For example, if my form has a text box named “Name” – what does the confirmation page need in order to show that data?

Thanks,
Jason
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do something like this... (Using Server Side Scripting [PHP in this case]).
form.html
HTML Code: [ Select ]
<form action="process.php" method="post">
<p>Name: <input type="text" name="name" size="25" /><br />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /></p>
</form>
  1. <form action="process.php" method="post">
  2. <p>Name: <input type="text" name="name" size="25" /><br />
  3. <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" /></p>
  4. </form>

process.php
PHP Code: [ Select ]
<?php
echo "Your name is: <strong>{$_POST['name']}</strong>;\n";
?>
  1. <?php
  2. echo "Your name is: <strong>{$_POST['name']}</strong>;\n";
  3. ?>

Where the "name" in $_POST['name']; is the name in <input type="text" name="name" size="25" />

The $_POST['...'] is the headers the form sends to the action page (in the "action" attribute) and you are using $_POST becuase the method specified is post.

If you were using a get method (passing the variables through the URL), you would be using "$_GET" rather than "$_POST" (note the GET and POST in $_GET and $_POST are CAPITALIZED).

I think this is what you want and would help you out... you would need PHP enabled in your server.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you know which language the server is using? ASP, PHP, CSP, Something Else ... ? Because the way Bogey explained is perfect ... for PHP, but will obviously not work if your host supports ASP, or CSP or Anything else other than PHP ...
  • jasbur
  • Born
  • Born
  • jasbur

Post 3+ Months Ago

They do use PHP, because I currently have a web form processor working. I have a product from Conkurent named WebForm Processor. It spits me out a code like this:
<form name="Contact" action="http://****.com/wfp/wfp_core.php" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="page_unique_id" value="c81e728d9d4c2f636f067f89cc14862c">

<!-- Your form code here -->

</form>

So while the answer Bogey (Thank You!) gave sounds very easy to follow, I'm guessing that I would no longer be able to use that form handler (used for email and saving to CSV). Is this something that I should be asking Conkurent? Any other Ideas?
Thanks!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you just add the "Your name is: <strong>{$_POST['name']}</strong>;\n"; to the wfp_core.php wherever you need it? Or did I misunderstood you here?
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Bogey's answer should work. I'm assuming your confirmation page is generated somewhere in that wfp_core.php file, so you would just have to find that part of the file and add in the variables as Bogey described above.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts