Form not working with IE6

• Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an image upload form on my site which seems to work fine. However, I get a lot of form submissions that are completely blank. The only thing that they have in common is that the USER_AGENT is always IE6. As I understand it, the user must see the "upload successful" page and not be aware that something has gone wrong.

The majority of image submissions to the site seem to be blank/IE6 ones, so maybe there is something else going on here rather than a problem with the form. I don't know...

Could anybody out there who happens to use IE6 or that has multiple installs of various IE versions maybe try and upload an image to my site with IE6? You can upload any image. You don't have to fill out any of the personal details as form validation is only carried out on the image field. Probably best to just fill the other fields with gibberish or made up stuff.

You can find the upload form here

Thanks for your time.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO IE6 is a pain in !@$#!@ for developers. AFAICT, you cannot even download it anymore to do the testing you need to do. Trying to debug stuff without having the browser available is ridiculous; they have IE6 at the library down the street and I used to run down there for this then I gave up -- who wants to try changing a few lines, running to the library to see if it worked, then running back again?

IE7 has been around for 3 years and you can download it for free. I would just put a note on your page that IE7+ is required to use the form. In some commercial settings I guess that is "unacceptable" but generally I think it's a good idea.

Users are not incompetent, but they are sometimes lazy and you should only indulge that so far. Most of them are not really aware of the significance of the technical problems with IE6, and they deserve to be informed and may even appreciate it if your note is thoughtful and concise. If enough people put the notice up, more users would upgrade their browsers, sooner, and this headache will go away.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually just found a nice short (<1min) web video that explains what is wrong with IE6 and how this needlessly increases the cost of web development:

http://link.backlight.tv/liquidprin/vid ... er-29.html

I'm gonna start linking to this in my IE6 redirect page...
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unlike most IE6 problems that get posted here at Ozzu I'm sure that this one is not actually anything to do with the way the browser renders the markup or handles the css. It seems to be more like some kind of security thingy... or something (I read that somewhere once, but haven't been able to find it recently).

There may not even be a problem at all - which is why I was hoping someone with IE6 would maybe test this for me so I could know for sure. I have a warning about using the form with IE6 ready to be uploaded but I'm hesitant to do so just yet as I'm not 100% sure there is even a problem.
  • gkumar
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • gkumar

Post 3+ Months Ago

It must be something simple that I am just overlooking so I hope someone here might be able to spot it.

It works without a problem in firefox and opera but in ie6 it just refreshes the page. If I hit refresh in IE it says "...this page cannot be refreshed without resending data..." Any idead?

<form action="http://example.com/page" method="get" enctype="text/plain">
<table>
<tr>

<td>A<br />
<select name="a">
<option value="1">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
<option value="3">3</option>
<option value="4">4</option>
<option value="5" selected="selected">5</option></select>
</td>

<td>B<br />
<select name="b">
<option value="1" selected="selected">1</option>
<option value="2">2</option>
<option value="3">3</option>
<option value="4">4</option>
</select>
</td>

<td>
<input type="submit" value="Next"></input>
</td>

</tr>
</table>
</form>
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry what?! Your complaining because you have to resend the data? But why would you ever need to hit refresh? If you click no then it will show you a blank form if you click yes then it will show the for with the data you just entered.
This should happen in ff and opera and all copies of IE as well because its meant to happen, not sure if it can be stopped or not I have never needed to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts