Forums

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok first off i dont know if this should go here or in webdesign or what ever so please move it if its in the wrong spot.

Ok on to the question. does anybody know where i can get a forums program/page that i can put inside of my current webpage. i need it to display inside of a box i already have. http://members.cox.net/kmartcop i have a box similar to the content box here. It is a little wider, and a little longer. i need the forums to fit inside of it. i have found different ones, but they all open up in a different page.

poly
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

most forum packages will need modification to be put inside of an webpage. Unless you know know the software the forum was written in, and are capable of modifying it, the best you can really do is to skin the forums like your site.

Incidentally, if you find a forum package that can be wrapped, and it has the power of phpBB, let me know :)
I wrapped my site around my phpbb forum and still have problems with some parts of it, like voting, which doesn't work at all (creating a poll)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

would there be some way of including a phpbb forum in a table somehow spock?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
would there be some way of including a phpbb forum in a table

I don't think so. You cannot put a phpbb forum in a table! However, you can use frames as in http://www.ultrashock.com , who did a wonderful job. It won't be search engine friendly though. SEO wise such tries are not recommended.

Just choose or make a template so that it matches the site. It is entirely possible to make a template that retains the original site layout, given some time.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have found a forums that u can supposedly wrap, but i dont know how to do it. its called web wiz, you have probably herd of it. i had herd of it before, but herd it wasnt very good so i never checked into it, but its the only one i have found that i can wrap other than PHPbb and i get the same problems as you spock.

poly
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Poly: I haven't seen web wiz, I'll take a look at it.

Vlad: I currently have mine in a table cell, though like I said, portions of it don't work correctly. Mainly, this is due to phpbb not EXPECTING to be wrapped with anything. For instance, doing a user search usually pops up a small window with a search box in it, however, on mine, it would wrap the search box with my header and footer. Same thing for new PM notifications. I have had to add all kinds of conditions to my header to NOT be included on these pages.
I have had to mod 6 .tpl files and about 8 or 9 php files, and I'm still having minor problems.

quantumcloud: see sig :)
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fitting a forum into a site is possible however their are many reasons why not as listed above lol. From my experience its easier to install a PHP based forum and skin it as you see fit. Using a basic skin and editing it yourself is always an options and after a lot of tweaking and moddding to include features you need im sure you will be able to find a forum that looks and works exactly how you need it to. Good luck with it all!
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah ive gotten the PHPbb to work in side of my box so im good. iwas looking at using the web wiz thing but its not that good so i went with phpbb. i have gotten all of the stuff to work on it so...

thx for the hlep

poly
  • S1L3NCER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need to do it too but with vbulletin
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

good luck man i have no clue how to do it...

poly
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You CAN put PHPBB into a table (and you don't need to use frames or iFrames). I did it at my sports board and it works just fine. Just click the Boastingrights.com links in my sig for an example.

The script is highly modifiable. You just have to know what you're doing with HTML and have to understand the structure of the phpBB template files -- all the HTML is edited in the .tpl files of the theme you are using.. In my example, I used the pepBB header as my overall page header, but put the actual forum into a table by editing the index_body.tpl file. I considered adding a third column to the table on the right, but if you view the sports board at 800x600 it looks pretty cramped. Over time I may add it anyway, but you can definitely put it into tables.

If you really wanted to put some work on it, you could probably edite the tables and make everything into div block elements and have it all validate, but There's just too much code there to mess with to put that much effort into it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts