frame help

• dmx1999
  • dmx1999

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello
i want to build frames that DO NOT have independent scrolling (everything scrolls with the rest of the page, like iframes or embedding pages)
something like this:

-------------------------
| frame A | frame B |
|_______|_______|
|frame C_________|

the height and width for frame A and B is fixed
and the width of C is A +B
but now... the height of C... i want it to be as tall as the the contants in frame C... like, if i have a page that is 900px tall in frame C, then frame C is 900px (and changes to 600px if i have a page that is 600px tall)

how can i do that?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe this link will give you the instructions you need:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/fr ... h-16.2.1.1

Google search: "frameset rows" (that was the first result)
  • dmx1999
  • dmx1999

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks
i try to do it with frameset but the frames scroll separately, I want them to scroll like one whole piece.
Wonder how i can do that
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can add scrolling="no" to your frame tag and that nixes scrolling in a given frame. However, you should be sure to check your page in different browsers and resolutions. Your content may be "cut-off" in some resolutions and screen sizes if you don't compensate for it. It will probably take some experimenting, but that's how you elliminate scrollbars in the frames.

P.S. I still think you'll run into problems if your height varies on different pages. I've never tried it for the row attribute, but perhaps you could hard code it in pixels (but then, you'll have to hard code every page -- and I doubt that's what you want. I didn't see any mention that pixels would work in the w3 specs vs. percentage, but it may.
  • dmx1999
  • dmx1999

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya man, i think you know what i want to do...
scrolling="no" only not allow users to scroll, but the frame are still fix in mid-air, what i want is that the whole thing scrolls.
I know hard coding works.. like height="9999" @@ but well... that will create a really long page
actually, this is what i want to do :

-------------------
| frame A | frame B |
|_______|________|
|frame C_________|

where frame A contains a picture
frame B is the menu bar that contains a few links and targets them to frame C
and if frame C is long enough to allow scrolling and the user scrolls down, frame A and frame B scrolls up, leaving the rest of frame C.

I saw it done a lot of times, just that i don't know how to do it :(

once again, thanks for helping :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gotcha...then I have to suggest the following.
I'm like BWM and others...I hate frames...so when I say I haven't used them in 6 years...I'm serious. It may or may not be useful...I don't know...but I can tell you this...when I go to a page with frames, I usually leave it pretty quick.

All that aside...if you have bookmarks of pages that do what you want to do...(and are using IE)....right click each frame and view source and see what they did...then View source on the main page and see what they did.

It's about the only way I can help you get what you want. If it were up to me, I'd nix frames from the web period. Personally I hate them.
  • dmx1999
  • dmx1999

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate frames myself. Not that they usually gets into a problems with the back button, but the fact that it just doesn't look good!
Just as you suggested, I have view a few pages, but they seem to do things the hard way (perhaps the only way)... which is to reload every single page when you click on a menu tab or any other links.
for example:
http://www.torontozoo.com/index.asp

anyway, I will think of something, thanks man!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

dmx1999

I think you might be missing something. If that link you just provided is what you are trying to avoid emulating...that page doesn't even have frames. It's ASP and probably written in visual basic so it has to reload like that (It is slow , granted...but a pretty nice looking page all-in-all)

ASP pages may (or may not) be slower loading depending on the script or number of scripts and how much needs to be downloaded from the database (if existent). With ASP and other type languages...the server has to interpret everything first and then passes it back to the client browser that requested it as HTML. So often-times it will be a slower load.

But as far as your topic...that page contains no frames...and if you are trying to emulate something similar that is fast loading....you should consider other alternatives.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you need frames at all, but rather <div> or <table>
  • dmx1999
  • dmx1999

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys

i see that the zoo page DID NOT contain any frames, they just use tables to organize the mainpage and then perhaps embedding subpages as an object onto the mainpage to create that scrolling effect i was meationing.

This is where the problem is... every click on those pretty gif button will reload the whole page... personally, this is unexceptable, reloading 5 or 6 gif buttons and the rest of the page just takes too much time.
(prefect example is hotmail and its tabs :evil: )

By using frames I can targe to another frame without reloading the rest :)
The problem is that i don't know what to put as height :cry:

as for asp, perhaps asp is the solution to the long and heavy coding. But it doesn't make any difference to the viewers, after all, pure html is sent to the browser after the server reads the codes.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you shouldn't need to reload the gif's after the first time, as they should get cached. And they shouldn't be THAT big that they take any length of time to load, for example look at the header for this page, its made up of several images.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is an alternative method.

Here is a page that is deliberately written without tables or frames and is done according to the w3 specs (i.e. html is for structure and style is for appearance) and loads quicker than most I've found. It's another help board and is one I frequent:

http://www.dotcomjunkies.com/members/m/ ... rce/forum/

I know what you want to do...but not sure I can offer better suggestions.

I wish you the best of luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts