ftp file questions

• drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I am new here, from what Ive seen its a great forum and I cant wait to read more. I just have a few questions for you webmasters out there :)

So I am kind of new to the whole owning a website and I just got my FTP set up. There are files already in my ftp because my hosting company has a login default page on it for me, to login to my web hosting.

The files/folders are as listed below:

folder:cgi-bin
-printenv
-test-cgi

folder:cp
index.html
login.html
-folder:scripts
-alldetails.html
-frames.html
-index.html
-scripts.html
-top.html

folder:images
images in the folder

folder:webalizer
-webalizer.current
-webalizer.hist
-index.html
and some images.

My quetion is, what files/folders can I delete without screwing up my website, or thinking of it, what files/folders shouldnt I delete to keep my website up? and where should I put my index.html in my ftp to make the homepage? Im probably going to put a forum on the main page for now (which is a whole nother dilemma since ive never worked with them before), till I am able to work on my websites main webpage.. So any help anyone can give will be gladly taken in! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You shouldn't delete any of these. You could delete "images", but you might want images in your site, so don't.

:)
  • drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

well this is my site...

http://www.voltagegaming.net/

all that is on there is the holding that my hosting put on it, so your saying i cant remove any of the files? cause i do plan on making my own main webpage, so how would i hide that one then or over wright it?
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that when you put your own files into the root directory - including your main page labeled index.html - it will automatically replace their placeholder. But I'd have to look around to be sure. Confirmation, anyone? :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
I think that when you put your own files into the root directory - including your main page labeled index.html - it will automatically replace their placeholder. But I'd have to look around to be sure. Confirmation, anyone? :D

I agree.
  • drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt want to create a new post, cause to me that seems like a waist since this still has to deal with my FTP in a way...

I want upload anything to my FTP, it always say
"CWD /www.voltagegaming.net/includes/cron/
550 /www.voltagegaming.net/includes/cron/: No such file or directory"

and I have no idea what that means... Do I have to go into my hosting and make a main directory some how for me to be able to upload files?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, you would need to create the directories /includes/cron/ before you can upload to them.

Try uploading something to the root, where you see those other directories (/cp, /images, /cgi-bin, /webalizer). Your best bet is to do a simple index.html so you can see that it's working.

Also, the directory /cp should be your control panel. The directory /cgi-bin is for cgi(common gateway interface) processes. The /webalizer directory should be where you can access your site's stats. The /images directory's use should be apparent. :)
  • drumzplaya13
  • drumzplaya13

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, well something is wrong. Because I try to upload any file to any folder and it just says "550 index.html: No such file or directory", when i try and upload my index.html to any folder.. The ftp is turned on so I can access it, it just wont let me upload anything to the ftp server, not sure why. Any ideas?

EDIT:got it to work for a second and uploaded stuff but then i tried going back to the folder and files i uploaded successfully and i couldnt get into them. I dont get why it doesnt work it says no directory for some things... or ill upload things go back one go back into the file and nothing is in the file, ill reupload the files and it doesnt over right anything, like they never existed. Also, now my sub domains dont work correctly, it just gives a page load error...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need to get in touch with your host, directly. 550 should be a permissions error. It sounds like there may be some weirdness in how your account is setup. That's not to say your host is doing anyting wrong, they just might have something not typical.

You might also try uploading through your control panel, if that option is available. Also, your root account might not have full FTP access. A full permission FTP might, POSSIBLY, be setup through your control panel.

Overall, you should speak directly with your host.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts