Getting Started

• KillJoi99
  • KillJoi99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all! I hope this is the right place for this. So Im looking into designing my own site, but I need to become more familiar with coding first. Right now, I know HTML and Ive scratched the surface of Java.

So what I need to know is are there any really good books for beginners that you would recommend or online tutorials, or something along those lines.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Darkmike
  • Born
  • Born
  • Darkmike

Post 3+ Months Ago

One quick question....

what software do you use? any? or do you just code the HTML with notpad or something like it??
  • KillJoi99
  • KillJoi99

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just code by hand, on notepad. Ive tried some of the autoprrams where they ive you a base and you just improve, but those are kinda meh. But any advice would be helpull.
  • eqqy
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

In terms of coding, just pick up any good HTML/CSS book to begin with. You can then get into PHP/ASP and Javascript later on. Most books are about the same but I tend to go for the "less-thick" ones. :p

And for the actual designing a website, that's something you can't really learn from reading a book (maybe i'm wrong). But try to notice little things on other websites that you like. Remember them and try to see if you can integrate in some of the elements to your website.

Chances are, if you like the design, most likely someone else will as well.
  • KillJoi99
  • KillJoi99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice, any one else?
  • CStrauss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: St. Louis MO. USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with eqqy your best place to start is to get some books on html and css to start. For those just learning you probably get away with learn very basic html, like the most commonly used tags and focus more on CSS.

I know recently past few years and CSS became a big topic, for me someone who relied more on building sites out of html tables, trying to switch to CSS was a bit more challenging for the simple fact when something didn't work my way I just went back to tables.

But there are several small books out there, Visual called blue print books, they are about 300 pages or less and they got them for all topics. In fact here is one for HTML a link to one, you can find these books in most major book stores, boarders, barnes and noble or find some used copies on amazon.

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-076458331X.html

Like I said they are short books they get you into learning the basics. And as you want to move on to more advance things like eqqy said they have books on topics from php,asp,xml,ajax and many many more.

For me how I learned html I downloaded a free wyswyg editor and just played around with building simple pages and took note of how the tags where layed out. Looked at code on other sites and duplicated it and it just came to me wasn't to hard to learn. Then from there I went to school got a degree in programming which at the time I couldn't see how learning Visual Basic, Java, C++, etc would help me learn web design and development. Then I started seeing PHP topics pop up all over the place bought a book on that and realized how easy it was to pick up because of the programming language was very much like C++.

It was then I realized that no matter what programming language you used basic programming rules pretty much stay the same, meaning arrays,loops, how you name variables, etc seem to consistant across many languages and then its just a matter of learning the syntax of how each language responds to.

Anyways sorry got a bit off topic there, I guess the point I'm trying to say is take things step by step learn one thing first then teach your self something else, and you see it will all start to tie itself together.

If you want some name of more good books I got lot of books some I haven't even read yet, but I be happy to give you some titles of books of diffrent subjects that are easy to read and follow and learn from.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eric Meyer on CSS is a good book to start off with. I've found it particularly useful when learning CSS. To be honest though, all of which i know (not alot in comparison to a number of members here) has been found through tutorials online. There are many many tutorials online for you to look for.

I can't tell you how pleased i was when i got introduced to PHP too. THe time it saves you from alot of things that you'd be doing solely on HTML. I'd strongly recommend you check out some of the tutorials for PHP too and try and implement them on whatever site you are working on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts