Getting started in web design...

• Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, for the past several months I have been thinking about doing professional web design. Today, I decided it's time to start. But I need a lot of information about it before I can really get started.

http://7thfleet.sytes.net/resources/web ... example_A/

The above is the first template I have created. It took a couple hours to do. I've been looking around Google, and it seems the best-looking templates incorporate Flash. Unfortunately I don't know Flash and I can't afford a Flash program.

Also, for someone as new to this as I am, (assuming that example is even any good), would it be better to make templates or respond to custom template requests...or both?

And (again assuming I'm any good at this), what would be the approximate pricing of a template like that?

Any miscellaneous information or suggestions are appreciated...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your template does not fit within my browser window, and I see no need to omit ordinary vertical scrolling. Restricting reading to such a small area just slows people down by making them have to scroll every few seconds.

You shouldn't use Flash for creating a Web page. What looks impressive to designers is not what looks impressive to the end user (visting the site); they care about usability and simplicity. Flash provides neither of these. Other factors are important - - namely, accessibility and usability. The pizzazz of Flash distracts users from actually looking at what the organization's Web site has to offer.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

I coded the site in 1024x768, and the template is small enough to fit in 800x600.

Makes me wonder what resolution you're using? :?
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using 1400x1050.

I suggest using a more variable-width design.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
they care about usability and simplicity. Flash provides neither of these.

http://www.macromedia.com/resources/bus ... ria_082403
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

That talks about using Flash for specific applications. It is interesting to watch, except for the part where they try to propogate a new buzzword, "the Experience economy." Flash doesn't provide any net benefit when used in templates of the sort talked about above.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most people have 1024x768...some have 800x600...very few have 1280x1024 (my normal resolution)...and an extreme few have as high as 1400x1050....

The site works in the first three resolutions I mentioned right there...maybe I'm stubborn (which I can be and usually to my own detriment), but I see no need to tailor the site to fit higher or <gasp> lower resolutions... :?

Also I made that template to be similar in size to the one used on http://www.there.com .

One more thing: is it true that Mozilla does not support frames?

If I'm acting like a n00b, please tell me...lol. :lol:
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mozilla understands frames just fine.

My point is, don't expect users to have a maximized window.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

why not? i mean, its gotta be at least average if not more common than that.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

If someone's browser window isn't large enough, that's not my problem. Nor is it the problem of whomever might use the template. It's extremely easy to simply resize the window. :roll:

I've found a really big problem...the templates could be stolen easily through View Source or by looking in temp files. I've done a Google search on the matter, and it looks like there isn't any way to prevent that. Even encryption doesn't nescessarily work. I thought of using a screenshot as the preview and taking the actual template offline, but that wouldn't work either because of interactive elements, such as rollover or hover effects. :(

Any ideas as to how to offer a preview that can't be stolen? :?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

their are ways to make it not cache...and as far as templates go, i wouldn't worry about people stealing them until you get a bit better (no offense)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts