A good design software?

• Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been checking into designing a web-page ( a web comic and such) and i wanted to know what a good software to use would be. Ive read about a few free ones, such as Coffee Cup, but i wanted an experienced persons view. Any suggestions would be helpful, and im not against spending money if i have to to get a good program.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macromedia flash would be a good one for comic creations and animation :D It's not free but you can try the demo if you want.. http://www.macromedia.com
Later
SycomCOmp
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you want to design web pages as opposed to multimedia, macromedia dreamweaver is considered one of the best. Some people use microsoft home page, many peopel would say not to.Personally, my favorite is notepad.....
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

and if you're gonna use macromedia, sandwich these 2
suggestions together and just get their StudioMX. ;)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a fan of notepad unless it’s a quick change cos it’s the fasted editor in the wold - maybe. The main reason I don’t use notepad is it only goes back 1 step in history and has no colour coding that helps when coding ASP/PHP. It also has no spellcheck.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

crimson editor is a good program for writing in HTML etc, Its free and colors codes etc.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
I am not a fan of notepad unless it’s a quick change cos it’s the fasted editor in the wold - maybe. The main reason I don’t use notepad is it only goes back 1 step in history and has no colour coding that helps when coding ASP/PHP. It also has no spellcheck.

I use notepad at work as I have no legal liscence for dreamweaver there (i mess around with code during lunchtime cos I get an hour and there's nothing to do :lol:

I definately agree that the extra undos and color coding handy - which is why I use dreamweaver. I suggested notepad cos it's cheaper than chips (unless you have a non-windows machine.... )
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was in your situation some time back and I did the same.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, cool. Thx all for the suggestions. I think Ill mess around with some notepad and maybe some Crimson editor.
  • Scorpius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Scorpion Hole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest Dev-PHP. It color codes in a few different scripting languages, its free, will let you parse the page to check for errors, and it is just all around good.
You can grab it over at SourceForget.net
http://devphp.sourceforge.net/
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

not sure what you mean by web comic (slideshow, animation????)

but website speaking theres no real easy way in without spending a bit of time learning something. ** notepad requires you to know html ;-P

i would start out with dreamweaver for your page editing, flash for your animation stuff (comic?) and photoshop for your design. all of theses packages are available in demo versions and have an endless amount of tutorials and extensions. you could also try a gfx program called gimp, its like photoshop but cheap (maybe free) dont quote me though, ive never used it.

http://www.macromedia.com dreamweaver and flash
http://www.adobe.com photoshop

a quick search in google may find you some code sources that will have a prefab comic book scripty thing ;-)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually already own Photoshop and Correl Draw, which i use in my artistic endeavors, and i was hoping for a good web site design software to work with them. Im mainly looking to design a simplke web page, and then draw a comic, Such as Ctrl-Alt-Del. What do you suggest?
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds good i use dreamweaver very good . or you could learn code and use note pad.im a BIG FAN of note pad!!!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go with a free editor like the one tone2k11 suggested. If you want to do wysiwyg then I can't advise you, if you want to do hand coding, get something that color codes!

If you get something free and don't like it then you've lost nothing. If in a few months time you decide you really want to get into this then get studio mx 2004. With that you get:

dreamweaver: for code editing / wysiwyg
flash: for online animation
illustrator: for vector graphics
fireworks: which is a funny vector/bitmat hybrid that I love!

It's not cheap, which is why I don't sugest you get it to begin with (in case it turns out to be a mistake), but for what you get the price is very reasonable.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, i forgot - if you want to hand code, line numbers are an enormous bonus!
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whys that then?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

why line numbers?

Well, when I have a file and my error message says "error blah-de-blah at line 275" there is something awfully annoying goint "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.." etc, especially when most of the time you lose count :roll:
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh i see, Yeah that makes sense
  • Uzzo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Uzzo
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

EditPlus!!!!!
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alrighty then, thx for all the suggestions. I think ive got enough stuff to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

Toss one back with me boys!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts